Subsonic Skateboards since '99 - Custom Decks for DIY Builds

@murdomeek That’s the long term goal. For a brand like ours to do that, it requires quite a bit of R&D and testing to make sure it’s a long lasting and reliable product. Ideally we will have a E-board specific deck that is built around a @eBoosted enclosure, with a channel cut out for wiring to motors.

13 Likes

@Chaki

The first photo is a GT40. On our custom board builder you choose your composites, desired flex rating, rider weight and select what type of riding you’re going to do. We take that info and select the correct number of maple plies to meet the specifications. Sometimes we will also add additional internal fiberglass for an extra strong deck.

You’re about the same weight as me! For a E-build we typically do 9-10 plies of maple with fiberglass or carbon on top & bottom.

There is some photos of the GT40 concave on our website. It’s about 3/8" and primarily intended for Long Distance Pushing. We have found that our LDP concave is great for E-boarding as both styles of riding involve long riding time.

IMG_0869.HEIC (2.5 MB)

7 Likes

@Adstars

6 Likes

I am still very seriously considering the sub century 40 for my next build but that GT looks very nice.

Decisions decisions

7 Likes

I really like the look of the Shadow 37, anyone know if there is an enc. that might fit?

2 Likes

I’ll show you how the gt40 looks this weekend

5 Likes

I also have the shadow in the workshop, but I haven’t got the chance to develop an enclosure for it. I think the LHB enclosure might fit in there, let me get back to you

2 Likes

No full size enclosure will fit the Shadow, the LHB is too long, the Universal is also too long. However the Vanguard 12S split enclosure fits surprisingly good, it follows the concave almost perfectly.

11 Likes

Anyone out there with a DIY build on a Talon 37? The Talon is my “pro-model” deck aka my personal board of choice. We’re currently doing a refresh on this model and I’m interested in what we can do to make it more DIY-build friendly.

11 Likes

The #1 goal would be getting your decks to quality enclosure makers. Not a lot of people will consider a deck these days that doesn’t have a proper enclosure option.

Edit: I see you’re fully on top of this already!

6 Likes

Looks pretty DIY friendly as it is, wouldn’t have problems with pneumatics on it, with those long nose and tail. How aggressive is the drop? More or less aggressive then centry? Also I love that its 37" I would actually not hate it if it was even shorter, like a 32" would be nice to have a nice short drop deck like that, stable and portable

5 Likes

@Bradley Are additional truck mounting holes an option on those long noses and tails?

A lot of us use pneumatic wheels that can get wheel bite on a lot of decks. And I would hate drilling crooked holes in such a nice deck.

3 Likes

@BillGordon - Luckily we have @eBoosted around and he’s working through our decks one by one. We have some Century 40 enclosures in-stock here, and we’re adding them as an option on our custom board builder.

@Skyart - The Talon 37 has a 1.75" nose and 2.25" tail (outside bolt holes to each end) The board holes can be moved a bit, but the nose claw and little kicktail limit how far you can go out with additional drilling. This does mean that the standing platform feels shorter than a comparable 37" drop deck. The drops are very aggressive!

@CamBo - Our Custom Board builder allows for custom additions after we CNC cut the deck. There’s a $35 add for adding mounting holes, drop thru add, chop tail, waist cut, shorter length, narrower width, etc.) We can’t change the mold or make boards bigger, but we’re happy to modify post CNC cut & drill.

14 Likes

The #1 goal would be getting your decks to quality enclosure makers. Not a lot of people will consider a deck these days that doesn’t have a proper enclosure option.

…for the same reason Subsonic must save some bucks (and reduce prices a little bit) on stock eboard decks by eliminating unnecessary underbelly graphics which will be hidden by enclosures anyway.

1 Like

@pixelsilva

Ink is cheap, however screen printing decks has got to be my least favorite part of our process, and by far the most artistic/delicate/not properly setup/fragile system we have. Definitely saves me time personally when a board leaves without a graphic.

We’re always improving our processes though, and high on the list is a new graphic application machine. It’s a little bit of $$$$ but should be well worth it.

3 Likes

That is why you put the graphic on top of the deck and glass frit the board like like sender and myself do.

1 Like

Could you do a talon but the size of the century…? @Bradley I’vebeen wanting that for over a year now so maybe now it can be done. Im too tall for the talon but want those few features it has on the century platform… pretty please and thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jansen

We are definitely thinking about how the Century’s, Talon and GT40 (and previous GT36) all align. The Talon does has a fairly short standing platform for compared to overall length, the nose claw and lil’ kicktail take up ~4 inches of real estate.

I wanted to say a big thank you to all of you for taking interest in our boards and making me think about them in a different way. Looking at our lineup from different perspectives really helps us fine tune our offerings.

I shot some quick phone photos of the C40, C36 and Talon 37 together on a grid. The C36 is a bit of a hybrid between the others, and actually has a longer standing platform than the Talon 37.

11 Likes

:heart_eyes: saw this earlier

6 Likes

Eh! That’s a photo from Adam Little, I have been texting with him today quite a bit. Long time friend and rad skater who’s been part of the Subsonic Family since 2014! He even was a team rider and employee with me when I worked at DB Longboards.

6 Likes