SSS 5694 800kv motor + Flipsky 75100 vesc

I already have a well built from scratch eboardšŸ˜…

BUT!

Iā€™m building a friction drive ebike, this motor I mentioned, will spin a 90mm longboard wheel (15/36 teeth) that will eventually spin the 20 inch bike wheel and Iā€™m encountering a weird (or not) problem with this motor,

After configuration on vesc tool, everything work amazing and crazy fast, the longboard wheel almost explodes, But when Iā€™m applying pressure/holding the longboard wheel with my hand, the motor seems to be struggling very much, almost uncapable to spin
I know Iā€™m not using the full potential of the motor abilities, but I can still generate 5000watt, and yet, very weak.

You know why?

Running 10s, 5ah, 30c,
Limited to 80Ah - if itā€™s too low, let me know.
ERPM limited to 60,000 - if itā€™s not ok, let me know.

I would be very happy if you can hint me or provide me any lead.

1 Like

800kv motor is going to have very little torque unless you feed it a huge amount of amps
ā€œ80ahā€ is a measure of energy not power. 80 amps to the motor is not much for such a high kv motor

4 Likes

ERPM limited to 60k. with 10s youā€™re looking at 200k ERPM with a 800kv motor

2 Likes

Yeah what hummie said, plus if you gear down the speed the wheel will spin slower but with more torque to overcome resistance and with less of a current load on the motor. Those things want a huge amount of current and cooling, 150~200A from some specs and theyā€™re often water cooled

1 Like

I think theyā€™re much lower pole count (I saw 6 pole in this size, other inrunners are 4 pole) so itā€™s more like 100k (edit: 86k max, I must have entered something wrong because I got 100.8 the first time)

You can use Evanā€™s esk8 force calculator to figure out the torque at 1:1.

Only 11 Newtons @ 80A

Compare that to a standard 190kv outrunner which I can just hold with my hand at 80A

Also the esk8 calculator at the top of this page can calculate the ERPMs, and yeah itā€™s fine. (77k to 86k)

3 Likes

You need to gear down that 800kv motor to get any torque out of it bro

Not necessarily. It basically is geared down friction driving a bike wheel.

90mm vs 508mm (20in wheel) is a 5.6:1 ratio. It may work fine on a bike, but will fail the ā€œhandā€ test.

Also make sure you are running the right firmware for these, and if itā€™s the aluminum PCB one, you can probably run it at 120A or more.

2 Likes

To be fair OP is geared 15:36 on a 90mm wheel rather than 1:1 on a 165mm, but obviously with that big disparity in force itā€™s still gonna be stopped by hand

2 Likes

Ah good point I missed that part. Thought it was a direct drive from the motor to the esk8 wheel

Whatā€™s interesting now is that it still lacks torque compared to a direct drive outrunner

With the inrunner at 15/36 itā€™s still less than an outrunner in direct drive.

2 Likes

Not so, with friction drives the force at the perimeter of the driving wheel is the same as at the driven. No real difference in thrust.

3 Likes

Doesnā€™t the friction wheel at least need enough torque to drive the bike wheel? If itā€™s stopped by hand it sure as heck wonā€™t be able to use friction to propel a load with the mass of a human.

Iā€™m having a hard time understanding this. A friction drive is similar to a gear drive, which is a force multiplier, trading speed for torque. With his setup, using a 90mm wheel should accelerate the bike faster, but have a lower top speed than using a 200mm wheel right?

1 Like

2 Likes

Holy crap,
Iā€™m reading all these comments and Iā€™m very glad for all youā€™re willing to assist me, thank you so so much!
itā€™s very warming!
Please, continue this discussion, maybe we can get any idea.

2 Likes

My bad, yes the smaller wheel gives more thrust. I just meant the step from driving wheel to bike wheel doesnā€™t change the thrust.

2 Likes

Going to need an esc that can do much higher amperage or else a motor wound to a much lower kv to produce the max torque from the motor.

Can you explain a bit more? To me It doesnā€™t seem likely to happen, just cannot see why and how.

Whatā€™s the max speed the vehicle will do assuming no load or wind resistance?

Iā€™d save myself the trouble of the little motor and gearing and just get a premade 20ā€ wheel with a hub motor in it. Leaf hub motors are good.