🏁 SRB Esc Approach 🏁

Just for clarity, that does require custom firmware, which is allegedly being uploaded soon. VESC Tool only lets you set up to 120 per side

And I was told that it is 180A / side or 360A total, for 10 seconds.

2 Likes

There is no way that Go-FOC DV6 is going to deliver 180A per side*. I doubt it could do half of that or less.

* for longer than some milliseconds

5 Likes

As I just said, 10s is the claim. I kind of believe it because I’ve seen them do load testing in house before

10s isn’t much - at the same time, no clue how anyone could manage to pull that on an esk8

I don’t know how much they manage to pull from these RC esc’s either, hard to say I think

2 Likes

You’re most probably right. I’m by no means an expert on such matters. I’m just reiterating their claims. Would you feel comfortable taking that up with MakerX directly on the relevant thread? It would be great to get a clearer understanding of the capabilities and caveats.

2 Likes

Have pinged 340a a few times on 8s. All I gotta say is there is nothing out there with two motors that can launch, accel to 50mph and run the hill with us.
Going on 4 years with Zero Esc failures. :checkered_flag:

22 Likes

Hi, I will write all updates here now.

7 Likes

I’ve been wondering this for a while, so I figured I’d ask: why don’t you guys at srb build 4wd boards? Is it just that it’s pointless since you guys can get so much power out of your 2wd setups that there’s not enough performance to be gained by adding more motors to make it worth the extra cost/weight/space required?

3 Likes

We have experimented with both front drive and rear drive. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. AWD would be the best scenario having all the good traits of each.
The main draw back is equipment. Double the equipment you double the potential problems.
Some day I would like to see single motor AWD with the most important gain, getting the motor weight off the hanger. In racing the most important thing is being able to finish. In order to finish first you first must finish (Rick Mears).
Keeping a drive system simple and overbuilt is the key to longevity. And Maintenance.

13 Likes

Was reading through another thread where they were discussing HV out-runner performance vs our 8s in-runner setup. The simple answer for me is motor design.
Not much here for debate or discussion but other than with proper gearing inrunners do everything much better in a smaller package.

The way I see it, this is what happened.
Let’s take a motor designed for smooth flight operation that traps all the heat it creates inside then mount it in the worst harmonic teeth chattering environment we can create.
Hmm, Damn thing fell apart, oh let’s Battle Harden it! Great. But I need more power, let’s add more weight to the hanger with a yet, larger motor. Still not enough power and we’re still overheating. Raise the voltage- Raise the voltage. still can’t run with a 30v in-runner. Now What?

I’m watching all this wonderful technology being developed based on a poor motor choice due to a gearing compromise convenience. Hope someday someone smart will make it in-runner capable.

One in the discussion stated “High amps are Dangerous.”
Electrical Safety is about knowing and following the rules. Resistance builds heat and heat is the enemy. If it gets hot, something is wrong.
Bare dry skin, 50v dc can shock and possibly leave an exit wound. With that in mind it takes as little as 10 milliamps to stop a heart. By increasing voltage the distance for electricity to (arc flash) jump from one circuit to another increases. No matter your voltage or amperage, electricity hazards need properly mitigated. It can be dangerous to play with if you do not know the rules.

Every electrical device is going to eventually fail. I have an 80yr old toaster I use daily. If you over build, it will last longer. If you are pushing the limits of equipment it will fail sooner.

On 8s We are now on our 5th year with zero ESC failure.
We run two small motors that are Better suited to this vibration intense environment, have a more efficient copper to iron ratio, wick heat to the outside and accelerate 0-50mph quicker than any AWD out-runner setup we have raced.

Sometimes better doesn’t make things convenient or easy. Who knows, 16s 200a 12kw 5694 in-runner single AWD setup is totally possible. One motor = 1 Problem. It just needs smart people digging the hole in the proper place. :checkered_flag:

Pic by Smalls

24 Likes

thanks so much
really important and amazing stuff

can our current vescs not run outrunner motors?
and if not is that due to software or hardware design

1 Like

The man speaks truth. RC airplanes used to use inrunners until brushless came along and made direct drive practical. These motors were intended to face the direction of travel and have air blown through their stators at 60 miles an hour.

The folks that still need maximum performance, the F5D hotliners, now use brushless inrunners with gearboxes.

2 Likes

All this really makes me want to consider the mamba/xlx2 over a big HV outrunner for a system that needs a lot of power in one wheel. Would you recommend it on a street board for someone who has no chill? Is the current state of the off coasting brake bug unchanged?

Also, I’m sure you get this a lot, but are these figures referring to both motor and battery amps per side? Couldn’t find a clear answer in this thread.

The motors we run are rated 200a @ 60v. We rig to have no bottle necks from the battery through ESC at 200a @ 30v. The Mamba xlx2 ESC Data logger monitors amps , watt hr, watts, volts, ESC temp, e-rpm, throttle & brake %.
Everything lines up with the battery side flow.
Does not monitor motor side of the ESC for amps/volts.

We can turn down this setup to accommodate those who have never ridden to lean on by custom setting the power and torque limit.
Super versatile.

The off idle drag brake effect issue is still there.
Maybe @fessyfoo could better elaborate on it.
For me it was an annoyance as the OG Xlx worked perfectly. I barely realize it’s there on the X2 now. Spoke with Customer Service rep Joe Ford from castle a few months ago and Stated engineering is aware and does not think it is worth their time to sort out…

12 Likes

I would agree with you about everything above 12s (bigger wheels where you can place larger gears, lot more space, wider trucks etc)

Anything withing and below 12s (street boards and low octane stuff) is perfectly fine with out runners. As you mentioned, gearing is first problem. I still haven’t seen anyone do sequential gear setup which would support 110mm PU wheels and work smoothly in entire speed range.
Even if we solve that issue we still run into issue of motor width for standard width long board trucks. Another thing to consider is torque at low speed (not everyone is a fan of push to start, especially while commuting in city). Lastly price. While comparing motor prices would be unfair (since in runners aren’t as widespread as out runners) everything else can be taken into consideration, lit-ions are cheaper and last longer than li-pos, AFAIK vesc is no use for these kind of in runner setups.

Couple of other things:
The magnet falling off issue exists because of manufacturers trying to save on glue or whatever, so most people just battle harden for added security. Of course nothing lasts forever, but that doesn’t mean motor shouldn’t last considerable distance till it pays for itself.
I wished we had more options for ESC’s, something simlar to vesc but simpler and not constrained by Tr4mp4 and their development.
Also I guess I should specify what I said about ‘‘high current bad and dangerous’’.

2 Likes

That’s great to know, thank you

Can you start up a hill without kick pushing first on your setups?

3 Likes

Xlx does not have the sensor option. The X2 does. We do launch hard from the start line without kicking. The X2 is much improved and less violent. With both ESC you car standing start you can start relatively smooth. Been thinking about sensoring the Sss, doesn’t look difficult. Yes it will take off Up-hill without pushing on either ESC with a 50+mph final drive.

@RDs states
"Anything withing and below 12s (street boards and low octane stuff) is perfectly fine with out runners. As you mentioned, gearing is first problem. I still haven’t seen anyone do sequential gear setup which would support 110mm PU wheels and work smoothly in entire speed range.
Even if we solve that issue we still run into issue of motor width for standard width long board trucks. Another thing to consider is torque at low speed (not everyone is a fan of push to start, especially while commuting in city). "

Wrong! I ran 1250kv 4092 8kw on 78mm Centrax with a 48mph final drive. 78/9

Standard truck width, what’s that. Most pro longboarders run 115 to 120mm hangers. Now we’re talking dual diagonal and still doable with an in-runner and done with gearing. It’s been done. Making real speed on a powered board with thane is not the smartest plan.

"Lastly price. While comparing motor prices would be unfair (since in runners aren’t as widespread as out runners) "

Sss5694 105.usd Huh???

“everything else can be taken into consideration, lit-ions are cheaper and last longer than li-pos, AFAIK vesc is no use for these kind of in runner setups.”

900 watt hr of Lipos’ 600$. Lipo good for 300 to 500 cycles hold voltage higher longer with more Amp delivery discharge. Compliments what we do to perfection.

@RDs I understand you know what you know. Your post here is long winded and what you bring does not apply or even have anything to add here. @RDs go be you. If you want to be us, build something and bring it to the hill or track. That is what we do here.

7 Likes

Any update on the 400amp esc’s with updated esk8 firmware? Im about to pull the trigger on a srb build

3 Likes

Ok, I get your point.

4 Likes

We gotta all remember this entire thread is about race boards and race boards only.

few would enjoy using a mamba esc on a commuter board

2 Likes