SR-71 Bluebird | Hummie | 110 Artic Blues | 12s7p 30Q

The “Current Hyst Reverse With Brake” is far, far better than the “Current Smart Reverse” control mode imho, if you are able to select it.

4 Likes

:heavy_plus_sign::one:
:penguin::beers:

2 Likes

Hmm alright I’ll try this out, what fw you running?

I’m running 4.2 and 5.1 and Ackmaniac 3.103 — but the mode was added in Vedder 3.57 on 2019 Jun 19 by @DAddYE

So any version 3.58 and after should have the “Current Hyst Reverse With Brake” control mode.

1 Like

Hm okay. I know I’ve seen it in there before, just never knew what it was. Are you also running UART remotes?

I am not.

It operates from the throttle. You push brake to brake. If you are below a certain low speed, like 3.5mph (5.5km/h) for example, you release brake and press brake again to engage reverse. But, a real reverse, not that smart reverse thing. Also I highly recommend limiting the speed in reverse because not many folks want to accidentally go super fast in reverse…

1 Like

Interesting. I did try current mode one time but it wasn’t my favorite. Definitely would want a speed limit in reverse, on smart reverse I think its 5% duty cycle

Yeah honestly one of the most annoying things about smart reverse is the lack of a good way to stop. You can press forward or stop and press brake again, but you end up just going into smart reverse again. I’ll mess with the time limit when I open it again.

You can use forward to stop smart reverse but it’s quite jarring

In “Current Hyst Reverse With Brake” control mode you can hold brake and it will, you know, brake. :smiley:

Only releasing it and reapplying it will engage reverse, and a reverse that you have full control over, not an automagic the-board-is-doing-what-it-wants weak-reverse.

1 Like

Ah that’s good lol. I’m assuming you press brake again to then go in reverse?

I wish there was better documentation of all this stuff -_-- after 3 years I’m still finding out new things

1 Like

Is there a reason noone does 11s?

1 Like

Some folks do. Chargers are harder to find.

I would prefer 11s over 12s. Less stress on the esc since it is further below the 60V limit.

All these kind of chargers can be tuned a couple of volts. I run one at 7S that initially was bought as a 9S charger. I bet one for 10 or 12s will work for 11s :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

People like even numbers? Idk haha - usually it’s been hard to find BMS’s for lower odd numbers in my experience

1 Like

I used 12s BMS on 11s 🤷😋
and I use the DPS chargers, which have adjustable volt/amp

3 Likes

Alright. The story of the rise and fall of yours truly…

Well I mean I did technically fall, so here we are. Give the whole post a skim at least if you want to hear about it

This is how I left my garage on Saturday, ready to take the board for its first spin. Lets give a little backstory here.

A few things happened to initiate this fall. First, this was my first real ride with a full-face helmet, second, this was my first ride on a powerful sensored board with the Vx1, and finally, this was my first ride with these trucks, with unknown durometer bushings.

Some observations leading up to the fall - one, the amount of sound that gets through a full-face helmet compared to a half shell is significantly less. (Who would have thought right) Another thing, I hadn’t ridden any board in FOC mode, been riding exclusively BLDC for a while, and more than I realized, I depended on the sound of BLDC to know how fast I was going. With these 6355 motors on FOC mode, the amount of auditory response is way less than I was used to.

I was planning to make this ride pretty long - at least 20 miles. However, I made it 0.7 miles. The first 0.5 miles went pretty well, went down a pretty big hill, hit around 20 mph no problem. Was still feeling out the board, getting used to it. This is where I went wrong. I haven’t ridden a drop-through electric board before, so I guess I gave it more credit for how stable it would be - maybe it was the bushings, maybe not. I do know that these are pretty soft, and I didn’t actually have the trucks that tight.

Here’s a screenshot of the strava tracking from the ride.

I had stopped at a red light, and then crossed at a pretty slow speed, coming up to a big hill. I’m used to bombing up this hill at 25+ so I was like alright, great, this should be fun. I hit the throttle and started speeding up, and as a result of the combination of unknowns for me on this ride, I sped up WAY more than I thought I had, making it all the way to 28.9 mi/h. Since I wasn’t really aware of my speed, I wasn’t in a very good form, besides my legs being full wide stance. I was probably standing mostly vertical.

Right as I hit that speed, it all happened in about three seconds. speed wobble speed wobble speed wobblecan’t recover at all

Here’s what went through my head - eh I’m probably going about 25 mph… Wow how loose were these trucks… Wow what did I do… OH GOD I HAVE TO BAIL

Anyway, I thought I was going slower, so my instinct was to run it off. I’ve done this before successfully at ~17 mph. Not a great idea I know, but I have long legs and it’s worked out before. I took two steps, and that took a lot of the momentum away, but on the third one, I honestly don’t know what happened, because it happened too fast, but I ended up sliding on the ground and I think I rolled over at some point. My vx1 strap broke and went up the hill probably 30 feet, and the board flipped over and went onto the sidewalk.

I was 100% in shock of what happened, so I walked up and grabbed my remote, made sure my board was on the sidewalk, and then sat down on the sidewalk.

I think I snapped @KaramQ somewhere in here but I don’t really remember.

After sitting down, I started evaluating. First thing I noticed was that my shorts button had been ripped off and I had a huge gash in my hip. Great. Now I have to ride back with my shorts falling off.

Alright. Legs good, ankles good, stomach - not good. Got some scrapes up my entire stomach and part of my ribs. Right arm - not broken, left arm, not broken, left wrist - high pain level, but after moving it, I decided it wasn’t broken. I was wearing my Galaxy Watch and I guess I tried to brace some of my slide / fall with my left hand, jamming my watch into my wrist. Definitley didn’t feel good and it’s been slowly getting better, still have some pain today.

I came out of this crash (28mph) very lucky. Nothing was broken except my spirit, and I came out with a sprained wrist, 10 or so scrapes, and a new fear for speed wobbles.

I don’t really want to show how bad the were the day of, and I didn’t take a picture. All of the cuts and scrapes were quite deep as I fell on asphalt. I’ve healed a good bit since Saturday, but my wrist is still healing from the sprain.

Partially healed injuries

The back of my right arm and left palm have healed a lot since then, but my hip and front of my right arm are going to take a while.

Why am I sharing this? This was my first fall where I actually hurt myself. I was wearing my full face helmet, which I am thankful for, even though my head didn’t hit the ground - thanks backpack and however that happened. Be careful guys. I’ve been riding 3 years and gone even faster than I fell at, but it goes to show, if you don’t know your gear yet, be careful.

I have more updates, better ones, but I’m going to let this sit on the thread a day before I update again.

9 Likes

Sorry about your fall… What firmware? There is speed wobble inducing firmware out there, just want to rule that out as the cause of wobbles. Besides that you can wedge the rear/change baseplates to a lower degree, change bushings etc. to get a more stable setup

We move, the more annoying thing is overcoming speed fear, I’ve done 36 before, but not right now haha

I am running 3.62 in FOC, UART vx1

I’ve got Riptide bushings in my cart, and I may consider going to 35 baseplate in the back at some point.

1 Like

I feel for ya buddy, only running half riptide rn but it’s probably the only thing keeping me alive.

oh and hope permanent damage will be minimal, best wishes.

1 Like

Yeah haha the only reason I didn’t purchase yet is the $45 lol

Permanent damage here should be zero fortunately! Thx

1 Like