Squealing belts

For some reason my belts start squealing about a mile or two into my rides. The belt tension is good. I think it might be because they rub against the flanges on the wheel pulley. And the wheel pulleys are plastic

. Also changed out the belts a few times. Also checked the bearings, they’re in good condition. Thinking about using belt lube.

3 Likes

video for best demonstration?

thx

1 Like

Like this?

1 Like

Ya kinda like that. In the start up it sound like a stretched out belt and then starts squealing when I go faster

1 Like

If you press the belt near the motor pulley, how far does it press in? 5-10mm?

1 Like

Yes, did the pinch test. No more than 10mm of play

1 Like

Your overall setup is slightly bent, as in the tip of the motor axle is going towards the wheel. If you can, turn the motor pulley around. The tension will still push the belt on the shortest path (away from the mount) bit it will stop in the pulley flange and roughly in the middle of the wheel pulley

Orrr use a cross brace to pull the mounts together straight

2 Likes

It’s extremely counter-intuitive, but belts actually migrate to the highest tension spot.

Here is a demonstration using crowned pulleys

11 Likes

Wow… ok… i knew i had to adjust but didn’t consider this. I just centered and tightened down. Good info

love that video :smile:

2 Likes

Interesting. Does it apply to tooth-belts as well?
I remember on my belt setups the belt would always walk to the (shorter) edge if things weren’t square.

1 Like

Ya, it’s been established that the plastic wheel pulley sux… along with the craftsmanship… gonna see if anyone can make a metal wheel pulley

3 Likes

aw I was about to order some of those and I used to use them a lot on my robotics team so I know they are good.

Sure the 3D printed adapter is good?

I’m gonna replace the whole pulley with metal. Hoping it works

2 Likes

I have heard and read somewhere that the htd5 belts tend to wanna travel to one side, lets say the right (depending on where you stand ofc)

how much for them pulleys

Don’t know. Looking around

1 Like

@dickyho
Aluminium 60T in my pic above

1 Like

I don’t know, but I’d love to see a detailed experiment for this.

I’m assuming yes until I see evidence to the contrary.

1 Like

Well swapped out that squealing belt and applied belt conditioner from O’reilly’s on the new one. See if that does anything as far as a quick fix

2 Likes