Squealing belts

Sooo… this is just my hypothesis. But… I think with these belts rubbing against the flanges, the added friction adds a lil extra heat. Not much, but a lil. And it kinda dries out the belt which is probably why it’s so noisy. After adding belt conditioner on them, they got super quiet. But towards the end of the ride, they started making a small amount of noise. Not loud, but slightly noticeable. Guess I’ll keep applying it now after every ride till find metal pulleys for these six shooters…

2 Likes

I mean like someone stated before (@Athrx) , why not flip the motor pulley and bring the mounts closer and have it rub against that flange instead of the wheel edge?

Saves you money no, just takes some time setting up right plus it reduces force on the motor bearings aswell.

2 Likes

Tip: assuming belts, pulleys, mounts, are all alligned perfectly, take out the belt, flip it, put everything back on. 50/50 chance it will actually start walking towards the metal pulley

5 Likes

Those arent bad ideas. I’ll give it a shot just worried the motor stems wont be long enough to do that. Like I said, shitty craftsmanship to begin with

1 Like

Wow. Just got this same issue yesterday, and your tip fixed it. Thanks!

3 Likes

When you reverse it will start walking in the direction you don’t want though. Keep that in mind

3 Likes

I have a steel motor pulley with flanges and an aluminium wheel pulley with no flanges. Previously the belt was walking to towards one flange in the motor pulley. Now it is riding in the middle. Weird behavior but I don’t care as long as the sound is gone.

1 Like

Loctite the pulley in place if the shaft is too long.