Spray Painting and Fritting a Deck

I’m painting a tayto this weekend and wondered if a few layers of clear coat would be enough for protection and to keep the shine, or should I add a thin layer of epoxy as well to seal it all in? If I do the epoxy I might as well frit it then and there.

Here it is about halfway through sanding last night. I have the backside taped up but didn’t get to painting since I forgot to buy clear coat. I’m also not sure the paint I got is the greatest, but we’ll see how it goes.

Ideally, use the same brand of primer/spray paint/clear coat.

You will need a primer first, which is a base coat before the paint. A couple coats of primer on both sides will do, lightly sand with 600 grit, and then spray the paint. Wait for the paint to dry for about 6~8 hours then spray the clear coat.

Wait a full 24 hours before applying grip tape/handling. Have fun!

9 Likes

Yah all I have is some cardboard to prevent over spray making a mess on the asphalt.

Gonna stick with primer, paint, and clear coat. If it wears away quickly I’ll re do it and add epoxy.

Spray paint is cheap and since I kind of know how to use it already from past projects so I figured I’d give it a shot.

I do want to try other methods of deck coloration in the future but for now I want to see how this easy method turns out and I’m not really looking to see wood grain with just a stain. Probably won’t be amazing but giving it my best shot.

I use several coats of brush on spar urethane.

Skin the bitch

1 Like

If you use urethane to do the clear coat, make sure to use water based!

1 Like

Seems a bit spotty but maybe it will improve as I add layers.

1 Like

I’ve decided I’m going to frit it with spar urethane and some iridescent medium frit that will somehow get here Sunday from amazon.

2 Likes

Water based urethane?? They make spar in oil or water based. Oil will yellow alot in the sun. I did a test piece with 3 different types of clear coats and that was the one that discolored the most.

Slave labor and horrible working conditions. Makes the world go 'round

3 Likes

Yah water based. Lowes or home depot will have some I’m sure. Gotta get a brush too.

2 Likes

I got mine at HD. Lowes had some but it was all oil based.

Minwax pro makes a good one.

1 Like

Not quite as I expected but I dig the look. Looks the the surface of the moon, dang I think I just discovered a theme.

7 Likes

Looks like uneven layers. Did you prime first?

It did turn out cool though!

1 Like

Yep that is uneven layers and pressure. What I have used to get steady flow is this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-High-Performance-Comfort-Spray-Grip-Accessory-241526/100670383.

I use it any time I spray something. I just used it when spraying this.

3 Likes

3 layers of primer, then sanded with 800 grit, then 4 or 5 coats of silver paint. I think I needed more primer.

We’re helmet+mount buddies :slight_smile:

1 Like

Funny. I just painted my spud with rattle cans… I expected it to be much easier than it was. I sanded it and actually started straight with the fluorescent orange… Horrible coverage. Then did a white+primer base and a can and a half of orange again. Then about .75 of a can of clear coat. I used mat finish and now grip tape is not sticking. I decided it was close enough and left it alone. When building I used a heat gun to shrink the shrink tubing for the bullet connectors and fucking took a big chunk of the paint off… If I ever try to paint a deck again will definitely be going a different route and try to do it right…

6 Likes

First layer of spar urethane is on and it’s pretty easy so far. Going to follow @Briman’s guide to a T. The water based spar I have is very non-viscous. I should be able to finish it up tonight and by the time my esc arrives it should harden up nicely. Just need an enclosure now.

1 Like

Here it is.