Spiral Bevel Gears Drive

Umm @MoeStooge’s :grin: I meant fwd on a short board so that you can still manual…

I thought about doing this for pure amusement. I picture it looking pretty outrageous

1 Like

@JaysTCB still racing Front drive.
Broke the all time stand up record at MaryHill and 53 mph uphill at the BakO race. 2nd place at Barrett Uphill a few weeks ago

10 Likes

and playing with bergs…

Edit: Just realised the airless 6in wheels might also fit with some padding :thinking:

9 Likes

Hi @MorrisHsu, Hope you are having a great start to your new year! Just wanted to see if you will be doing any new orders soon? I made sure to fill out the google form as requested on this page.

I can not wait to use this gearbox for my next build! :smiley:

Looking forward to hearing from you ^_^/

1 Like

Hey @Fluffyllamazz. I’m looking forward @MorrisHsu’s return, as well. In the meantime, check out WTS: Dual Spiral Bevel Gear set

So in my recent trip back to Taiwan I linked up with the Taiwan eskate community and caught up on some stuff. As far as news regarding spiral bevel goes, somebody knew Morris and the person in Taiwan who tested for Morris. Apparently as far as these go, that round was the last round outside of Taiwan. Sorry to disappoint folks.

9 Likes

Not to rub salt in wounds here, but I had a chance to take these out on bergs for a quick run and these were just wow :+1: much fun

140kv and 10s is pretty fast and torquey on the flat, I added some more grease and they are pretty silent so far, not louder than the tyre noise anyway.

Going to try to fit the airless wheels to these next as I’ve realised I’m not a big fan of pneumatic (too squishy/bouncy)

6 Likes

@AngryTrucker please post a video with sound if you have a chance. The only thing holding me back from searching for a set is @sofu’s videos where they were loud.

sure I’ll try to set something up later, probably an indoor comparison with another belt drive as I’m not super keen on trying to record the back end while gunning it :upside_down_face: the gearing keeps you on your toes

1 Like

quick blast 140Kv on the gears versus 270Kv on belts

8 Likes

not that loud tbh

Hi @MorrisHsu, I’m looking at wheel options, excuse my ignorance, can the drive take a kegel wheel or is a different part needed?

Thanks, @AngryTrucker your video sold me on them. Thanks @Jinra for selling me a set.

4 Likes

He’s unlikely to respond here anymore. As it stands right now it doesn’t support kegel properly. You might be able to add/remove the mounting posts to make it work though

3 Likes

I was looking at those wheels posts and wondering that, however Murphy’s law dictates the drive posts will be out by exactly 0.75mm

cheers!

1 Like

@sofu maybe you can help me out. One of my motor thrust bearings shredded the cage and threw the ball bearings.

Do you know where I could source a replacement? I looked on McMaster Carr, but none of their parts seem to be an exact replacement, and I’m hesitant to #yolo with load bearing parts.

It appears that my good motor thrust bearing is ~7mm thick, ID of 8mm, OD of 22mm. The mount hole that it fits through appears to be 33mm.

I found a needle thrust bearing that meets the RPM requirements, ID and OD, but it’s too thin. I assume that I can just add washers, but I want to confirm that idea.

1 Like

You can certainly just add washers. I got these and if I remember correctly they worked fine with a washer so you can certainly do it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0192SOXN0

2 Likes

Nice pictorial thanks, the spacers seem to go on before the adapters. Possibly to give more support to the wheel gear?

1 Like

BTW those still choosing trucks, the adapter fits on to a BN220 hanger beautifully.

Edit: But would benefit from some 1mm shims on two sides, you do not need to file the hanger at all @amanuelamanuel

4 Likes