SpiderBatterySystems Flat Pack Review

I have used braided copper in a ton of packs. It’s awesome for low profile situations. don’t use flux, it will betray you. Trick is to use a very hot iron to tin the copper braid on the very ends. You have to do it fast, almost just barely tapping the flux core solder onto the braid with the iron. Then you put a bead on the nickel, as wide as the copper. Then you lay the lightly tinned copper on top of the bead, hold it in place with a wide flathead screwdriver to sink some of the heat off the nickel and keep your hands from burning (and it also seems to slow down the wicking) and put the iron on the bead and let it melt down and as soon as the copper drops into the wet bead you pull the iron off of it. It’s all about time, you don’t give it time to wick.

at least that’s how I do it.

4 Likes

As someone who doesn’t watch videos much, this is the fastest way to get me to watch a video. Not on mute.

4 Likes

What were they?

In order to maximize range I was told I could go as low as 2.5V/cell (30V) for my hard cutoff. I would use 34V as my soft cutoff.

Not worth it to go that low, better off with

3.2 soft

3 hard

:neutral_face:

4 Likes

There’s a whole thread for this, but I would never go that low.

2 Likes

Can confirm.

Had a 2.5km walk of shame because of it.

took me a minute too

5 Likes

Apparently medical clamp pliers are good for these, didn’t try them yet though.

3 Likes

Woooow! Im too embarrassed to admit how long I’ve been looking for it :joy:

1 Like

Hemostats?

A staple of any workshop IMHO

3 Likes

Hemostats are pretty awesome.

For my braided connections, i put a bit of FR4 under the nickel and push down the tinned braid with a piece of aluminium flat bar before applying heat.

I use a solder pot, liquid flux and hemostats to tin the braid.

1 Like

do you put it under before or after welding? I can’t exactly picture your process here

I always solder after welding. I put the FR4 between the nickel and the sides of the cell to stop the heat getting pushed down onto the sides of the cell.

2 Likes

2 Likes

there needs to be a reacc for “ohh I get it now”

@mods whatup

I still didn’t get them, but does solder stick to them?

I ruined my long nose pliers with like 100g of solder that just flowed all over them haha

Solder won’t stick to SS unless you get it insanely hot, like breaking carbon bonds hot

1 Like

I use a Weller W201 for wicking and soldering braided strips, it will get hot :joy:

But they arent that expensive and seem much easier to use than regular pliers for the same job

no way it could break carbon bonds lol If it could your handle would melt (and yes I know what a Weller handle is made of).