Yeah but then you have to own a trampašŸ¤£

11 Likes

Already proud owner :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry for your loss

12 Likes

@Skunk, finally made on here!

3 Likes

Great man. I knew the community would be into your board and have questions.
Really hope we can make Monday work and show for group ride.

10 Likes

@speedboard
This thing looks sick! My kind of mad scientistā¤ļø

Question: will you be able to make parts available for DIYers? I like to make things hard for myself. In particular, Iā€™d be interested in a steering mech, that seems to be the key innovation here :beer:

6 Likes

Maybe I missed it, but what remote are you using?
Whatever it is you should talk to my buddy @DerelictRobot
Heā€™s got the remote youā€™ve been looking for.
ts1wz

6 Likes

The challenge is the steering mechanism is integrated into the frame, so it would be difficult to incorporate it into your own build. The forces on the arms are pretty extreme because they cantilever forward, so it has to be mounted extremely securely to the board. My objective is to create a product that really has nothing left to upgrade.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve been chatting with @DerelictRobot on Instagram. Iā€™m using a standard 2.4 Ghz trigger remote for the prototype, but we can use any VESC-compatible remote for the board. Iā€™d like to have a few remote upgrade options to choose from. Thatā€™ll depend on the funding level we reach.

5 Likes

So maybe a frame and steering? I like to buld my own batteries, have some controllers lying around and would enjoy the challengeā€¦ Itā€™s cool if you donā€™t think itā€™ll work, youā€™ve got a sweet thing going alreadyšŸŗ

3 Likes

Maybe we can convince him to let me Barrow a prototype for my trip to California if we bug him enough lol

4 Likes

A noble pursuit, but probably not realistic from our DIY perspective. Sell a shell for 1k :heart:

8 Likes

The focus right now is definitely on creating a seamless production model, but it would be fun down the line to create a spec rolling chassis for the upcoming speedboard racing league!

8 Likes

Copy.
Looking forward to seeing these things tear it up at the track :checkered_flag:

2 Likes

Those MR-60 connectors look sweet, what amperage can they handle? Weā€™re using 5.5mm bullet connectors currently, running 85 phase amps.

My goal was to make a production board that could actually satisfy the DIY-crowd, even if itā€™s just as a second board in their quiver.

How would any of you upgrade your speedboard? What components would you rather use in a rolling chassis? The design is preliminary, Iā€™m definitely going to make it as capable as possible. Happy to incorporate your ideas.

2 Likes

I would like to make my own battery, as I donā€™t like to have internal BMS, and prefer external mamagement. I know I am an odd duck in this respect, but to me external management is the way to go. More room for batteries and no ā€œdeath by BMSā€. I might have a different oppinion regarding ESC/motorKV/final drive ratio, for example if I wanted to make a hill climber or a 40mph boardā€¦

But these are all mods peculiar to our DIY hobby, most people would be blown away with your current setup. Carry onšŸ‘

1 Like

This looks fantastic, I remember the endless sphere days when someone did one really similar, but more road focused, smaller tires and all, looked really cool, but this is cooler

How stable can it be in truly off road? Loose sand, rough cracked dirt, roots, rocks and all that, not packed trail

To be honest I would love to back one but no possible right now, but I may take it as inspiration to try to do something similar

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to see it in soft sand. I primarily ride my onewheel at the beach.

2 Likes

Because my BMS is only on the charge side itā€™s really tiny, just 18A. I agree about not having a huge BMS between the battery and the VESC, that never made sense to me since the VESC is so good at managing battery current. You can change the rear sprocket to raise or lower top speed, this has the same effect as changing kV without reducing current capacity. Iā€™m planning on making it versatile enough to use different ESCs, itā€™s just a bit tricky to get the bolt pattern to work with the heat sink fins.

4 Likes

It works really well on rough dirt, and handles roots as long as you arenā€™t riding like a maniac. With hooks, straps or bindings it should be pretty unstoppable, the only real issue with hitting bumps is having my feet shift. Itā€™s not at the loose sand level yet, thatā€™ll require a bigger tire, but packed sand should work great.

2 Likes