SPEEDBOARD - $23k on Kickstarter in one day

This makes me wanna shave of the handle of my kickbike to see if I can ride it! Looks awesome!
I’m gonna be that boring guy and say that the pricepoint seem abit steep for a kickstarter? While I realise you obv. need a return on these, a murdered out Trampa has about the same pricepoint :thinking:

Best of luck tho! Fun to see more electric propulsion!

1 Like

Yeah I’d prefer V6 hardware, but in practice I haven’t found it to be an issue. Also, I don’t know of any high amp continuous output V6 VESCs besides the Maytech 200A and the Flipsky 200A watercooled VESCs, and they’re both overkill for the production board.

3 Likes

Where did you source the FOCBOX? Does not sound like it is running VESC4 hardware.

2 Likes

I’d love a V6 VESC that can do 80+ volts. 100 volts would be a game changer.

1 Like

Thank you! It’s so fun to ride. I do wonder why more DIY guys aren’t running 13s, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

I’m working on a 20S capable BLDC esc.

The question is does the community realize there is minimal performance difference between a decent BLDC algorithm and FOC with the motors we are running.

3 Likes

Because standard vesc hardware explodes at 13s.

4 Likes

When you see the board in person you’ll understand why $1999 makes sense, it’s very hardware-intensive, and looks like a piece of art. I wanted the ability to build an insane product, not try to cut costs and corners to hit some price point. That’ll come in the next board.

4 Likes

I bought 30 FOCBOXs when they said they were going out of production, then I called Jason and he said they’d restart production for me.

10 Likes

Maybe those are the 16s versions mentioned in another thread.

2 Likes

I’m 100% open to a BLDC ESC, especially if you can do 20S. The speedboard is already loud anyway. What’s your goal for continuous amps?

1 Like

I see! No matter if its abit cheaper or not, I’d probably rather build it on my own! Its half the fun after all :wink:

Again, best of luck with the kickstarter!

2 Likes

Fortunately that doesn’t happen with FOCBOXs. I’ve been pushing mine to the limit for months now. It’ll overheat in certain circumstances, super steep hills, but it always recovers and keeps on chugging.

1 Like

The current sensing scheme allows for plus or minus 165A at the current price point, might be able to get it to 270A using smaller current shunts at the cost of accuracy.

As for power dissipation, since it is BLDC just need a decently sized heatsink and it could probably do like 150A cont.

2 Likes

I’ll definitely have a user manual that emphasizes not leaving your speedboard in a hot car.

2 Likes

My goal is to get customers that want to see what I can create for $1999, rather than look for a pared-down product for $1499 or something. Plus, against current production boards I think the price makes sense. OneWheel XR is $1799. LaCroix base model starts at $2499.

5 Likes

That sounds awesome. Optimizing heat extraction is definitely necessary. There’s gotta be a better solution than the silicone layer between the FETs and the heat sink.

1 Like

I think the 13s on the FOCBOX is perfectly fine, I know people have been running that just fine for years, mostly the standard non-heatsink VESC 4.12’s like the FESC or Maytech one sometimes explode at those voltages, especially with over-erpm issues.

However, it seems your setup compensates for both of these things. One thing that I would imagine helps a lot is the heatsink - not only is it designed as a heatsink, it has a larger thermal mass, allowing it to absorb the big heat spikes and dissipate them much faster than just the simple small one. Along with that, the fins allow for more cooling capacity. I would wonder if it has any issues in extended high-temp run times. Arizona or Las Vegas, etc, where it is easily 105-110 in the summer.

I agree about the hot car thing, but that I feel is one of those cases where you label it to say “don’t leave in hot areas for extended periods of time.” It is simply a limitation of the technology, nothing really to be done about it at this point in time. If a customer makes the mistake then there isn’t much the company should be liable for, given the batteries are properly vibration dampened, all balance wires are safely stowed, and that the fire is not an electronics issue.

I think your price is decent for what you get, however right now it falls in the more premium zone. Maybe one day once you get your production fully established you can offer multiple models, a top tier high range, mid tier (this one) and a lower range one.

2 Likes

From what I can tell the only impacts running in hot climates would be reducing hill climb capabilities. At 30 mph there’s a good amount of airflow over the heat sink. Even when I feel the FETs reach their temperature limit I only have to cruise for a few seconds for them to cool down.

1 Like

Thermal interface material and double sided mosfets. Bolt on heatsink.

Check TPW1R306PL,L1Q and SF400

2 Likes