Speed burst when applying brake?!!

Check the pcb & make sure none of the tiny resistors have fallen or gotten knocked off their pads. There have been some issues with that, I had one puck w/2 knocked off & another with 1 knocked off.

2 Likes

iā€™ve hit that point

even though iā€™ve had a whole lotta falls before hitting 50, these past 2 shit eating events maade me wanna go no faster than 25 and never push the throttle agressively because chtouts :+1:

1 Like

i almost never go past 30.

7 Likes

Same I only do it on super smooth roads

1 Like

I had a big crash at 40+ last year and have slowly been gaining the confidence and now the additional padding. If youā€™re worried about your knees I just picked up some of these EVS RS9ā€™s, they flex with your leg and give you great coverage for falls. EVS Sports - RS9 Knee Brace - Pair

4 Likes

So what youā€™re really saying is, the bottom of your bare feet are only rated for 30mph run out max lol?

6 Likes

The cost/benefit ratio of exceeding 30mph (48km/h) to me just doesnā€™t make sense.

One crash takes me out where I canā€™t skate 25mph (40 km/h) anymore, and thatā€™s no good.

Sure, I go fast sometimes but the vast majority of the time Iā€™m in the 20 - 30mph range (32 - 48km/h)

7 Likes

proper protection ainā€™t cheap :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

1 Like

Check the PCBs for water or corrosion, Iā€™ve had weird glitches pulling boards out of storage. A good IPA wipe and they worked without problems.

1 Like

Got it $100 cheaper for black Friday, but I hear ya :confused:

2 Likes

I look at it like I do my work boots, when you break the cost down it really isnā€™t that much. itā€™s just the sticker shock of having to fork it all over at once. If you were to skate for 1hr 3x a week for one year then those knee braces would only cost $2 per session. If you had the option of paying $2 per everytime you were out to use them, im sure youā€™d be glad to pay that.

4 Likes

I think this may be the issue

10 Likes

Damn thatā€™s scary :grimacing:

Time to resolder and add some epoxy :eyes:

5 Likes

Why does everyone praise the puck if this is a known issue?

3 Likes

Trigger or Die :tm:

3 Likes

Hasnā€™t been known for that long; we should really make a PSA thread warning about it I guess. Also there just wasnā€™t a better replacement to recommend instead.

3 Likes

Itā€™s an incredibly good and mostly reliable remote. This is DIY esk8 & having to check a solder joint isnā€™t a very big deal

Not a big deal if people know about it*

Maybe @JJHoyt and puck resellers should send an email to all their customers that have purchased one just in case? I donā€™t remember if this was an issue only with one batch or notā€¦

5 Likes

If I pay +100 euros for a remote I expect it to not accelerate when Iā€™m brakingā€¦

U sound like @torqueboards

7 Likes

Naw dude, I knew Torqueboards was a cunt years ago lol.

Idk, I just like the puck. I had a very minor fall that just happened to land on the throttle of the puck before they reinforced the part, snapped off instantly and I was confused as to what even happened. Opened it up, saw why it had broken so easily due to design, emailed JJ & he sent me the new throttle piece same day.

I guess I agree he should send out an email notifying people of the potential issueā€¦ but I donā€™t think itā€™s representative of the puck being bad overall.

Tell me how many remotes in esk8 have never had some sort of dangerous issue. Even the balls simple mini remote has failed me once - in the form of the battery contacts becoming lose leading to power cutoff. Shouldā€™ve never been able to happen if properly designed & couldā€™ve left me without brakes as I was going into an intersection or something. Luckily it happened when I was on a not very busy road & I wasnā€™t going very fast.

& for what itā€™s worth - Iā€™ve notified JJ of the resistors being knocked off the pcb by the shell, in a place he wasnā€™t even aware of (there were two points he knew of IIRC, I ended up dealing with a third) - I asked him to say something about it and I donā€™t recall him ever doing so. Iā€™m not butthurt about it tho; shit happens.

1 Like