Speed burst when applying brake?!!

Help. My esk8 is trying to kill me. Been riding my board on and off all day but this just started - Sporadically it will speed burst whenever I begin to apply the brakes. Scaring the shit out of me. I restore my Backup configuration which was fine earlier and it still does it. Remote issue maybe?

MakerX DV6
2x 6374 flipskys
Hoyt puck

Wtf is going on?

1 Like

You might be experiencing a failure in the remote, I’d open it up and inspect the throttle wires first

3 Likes

I do think it’s my puck. Too bad I don’t have damn security torx on me. Have every other tool…

Not the wires. But check the solder on the potentiometer contact points. If it disconnects, it’s full zoom. You may be flexing it in the brake direction and it’s failing. They are known for having an insufficient connection.

You could reverse motors and puck direction to check if it’s still the same.

5 Likes

Security torx?

The puck uses hex screws or did you/they change them?

1 Like

I have over 500 vertical feet of downhill to get home. I’m literally on a ridge and it’s downhill any way i go lol.

So reversing motor direction will get me down?

Get an uber

10 Likes

That’s kind of what I meant, should have been more specific

My bad. It looked like the little dot in the torx. I have a few hex keys but not that size, damnit. Closest is the one for my grub screws.

Uber does not exist here. Closest one is probably 45min away

do whatever you’d do if this couldn’t be fixed is what I mean. It’s not worth the risk.

1 Like

Do you have telemetry devices? IF you have to drive, make sure to limit your speed to something slow.

I think I’m gonna bomb it. There’s no cross traffic at least…

3 Likes

Yes. You can reverse remote direction on the remote. Forward will be brake and reverse will be acceleration. It wouldn’t stop it from going full acceleration though. It would just do it when you are already going to accelerate. I’m not convinced this is your issue so proceed with caution. Phase wire issues present in odd ways as well.

2 Likes

Well, I made it home intact. Only hit 42mph, honestly thought it would’ve been much faster.

At first glance it appears the potentiometer thing in the puck is OK. I put a couple of dots of hot glue to maybe prevent that issue if I can.

My dog is pissed at me so I gotta walk her before I check phase wires. I’ll be back in an hour or so when I get my board torn apart… hopefully with an explanation. Probably more questions lol

4 Likes

Damage to the legs on the potentiometer can be quite difficult to see. I would suggest adding a bit of solder to all of them while you have it open.

Epoxy is likely a better choice than hotglue for securing the pot.

4 Likes

“only”

10 Likes

some people just haven’t fallen enough. lol

12 Likes

I peppered some sarcasm in there but I guess it doesn’t translate via text… :grin: I swore Id had enough after the last one. It put the fear in me. Took me some time until I could really get on the throttle again but I still don’t think I’ll ever be able to ride the same as I did before. Don’t think my knees will ever be the same either.

5 Likes

I know this feeling all too well friend.

2 Likes