Spain just went full flat-earther (ban on esk8 and other PEVs)

I’ll start with the good news, because there’s only one: we have 5 years to fight this.

And now the bad (paraphrased, I can provide the full text if anyone is interested in reading a big fat load of bullshit):

• Mandatory certification for all PEV. Laboratory tests according to an extensive list of EU standards required, making it nearly impossible to obtain by individuals (forget DIY)
  • After certification, a license plate with type, manufacturer, model, serial number is granted and must be attached to the vehicle. There will be an official website with the list of authorized models.
  • Requisites include 8" minimum wheels, 1000W limit (2500W for self-balancing vehicles), 25km/h max speed, two independent brake systems (for self balancing vehicles too!) lights, reflectors, parking brake for vehicles with 3+ wheels (you can’t make this shit up), acoustic signals, brake light, battery % and speed indicators.
  • Firmware anti-tampering protection.

I’m done with this country. I’m so fucking tired of trying to comply with ever-changing regulations imposed by clueless authorities. I ride responsibly, limit my board’s speed, wear protective and reflective equipment, even got insurance in case I hurt someone or myself, all for nothing. This only benefits companies that make stupid scooters and the ones that rent them, but they insist I am the problem.

Fuck this.

66 Likes

u don’t need parking brakes if u never park :joy:

joke aside, its very sad to see country thinks they need to regulate to this kind of level, some of the regulation aren’t even possible to start with

14 Likes

Come to Florida. We barely have laws to begin with, I can’t imagine them banning esk8 here. Y casi todos habla un Poco.

11 Likes

Worst part is the “environmental” and “public safety” spin they’re trying to put on it. I don’t mind regulations, they’re why I don’t have to fear not being able to afford getting sick…but that is how it was supposed to work, to PROTECT people, not economic interests and big corporations. I’m naive like that.

Fun fact! Bikes don’t require any of this nonsense and can get up to 45km/h. This is designed to fuck with quite literally the SLOWEST* vehicle on the road.

*Provided you respect the 25km/h limit now

7 Likes

Wow that’s… horrible. It truly sucks that people who have no fucking clue what they’re doing are making laws about PEVs. Nothing needs a 1000w limit, let alone 2500w if it cant go past 25km/h. Also, two braking systems for self-balancing vehicles? How’s that even possible?

Don’t get me started on this.

I wish you and your fellow Spaniards luck in overturning this bullshit.

15 Likes

The way I see it in every single case: if you’re going to ban electric skateboards, you gotta ban analogs, too. I haven’t checked the numbers but I am CERTAIN more injuries occur between skate parks and downhill than on electrics.
If you’re going to regulate electric skateboards, that’s fine, but make it a simple safety check provided by an insurance company and required to register the board. Like with cars. Some of the old beaters I’ve owned were in significantly worse shape than the crab raccoon, but still perfectly street legal.
If you’re going to enforce any kind of law on electric skateboards, it should not be one that could be described as descriminating against them.

13 Likes

Woah, dude, you make too much sense. Watch out or you might be banned from Spain too…

10 Likes

I’ve driven vehicles I don’t think would be legal anywhere else in the world other than maybe 3rd world countries in Florida. I don’t think using Florida as a standard is very good either. One of my friends recently was talking about moving and trying to decide how big of a deal trying to move somewhere walkable was. Being a lifetime Floridian he was shocked to learn other places inspect cars.

That said screw these rules and especially the “Firmware anti-tampering protection.” part. Rules like these are going to force people to get larger vehicles which are less environmentally friendly and also make things completely unrepairable which is terrible.

8 Likes

Joder, is going in the same direction than the Netherlands, they don’t want any of us on the bike line. Bikes are so protected. I have to ride my board like if it was stolen, fucking worried about get caught again.
I’m very sad, Spain was like my riding paradise out of any worries.

6 Likes

Oh I know Florida is a terrible example, it’s a lawless wasteland. That’s why I always end up back here. I been all over tho xD lived in… I think 8 different states but I’m not 100% sure. I might consider Cali or Hawaii next, but on both of those fronts, the housing markets even worse than here.

4 Likes

@thunkar I appreciate the sentiment of your title. Yet, could you select a different adjective to describe it?

11 Likes

Thanks, you beat me to it

2 Likes

@jamie @mr.shiteside you guys are right. I’m sorry but typed this rant in a rage-induced state. Changed!

10 Likes

completely understandable - and the new title made me laugh!

3 Likes

Credit goes to @mr.shiteside, couldn’t let the opportunity go to waste :joy:

7 Likes

There’s pretty much a full ban in the UK but there’s been a recent debate in parliament on whether to allow “privately owned” e-scooters (only rental e-scooters are street legal)…

This is a link to the parliamentary debate transcripts on whether to legalize “privately owned” e-scooters:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Lords/2022-01-20/debates/7DEDED2B-0C97-46A4-8FFF-5863E69CA680/details

(The arguments are almost entirely against legalization.)

10 Likes

Holy shit that’s awful. Can’t they NOT sound like pompous pricks?

3 Likes

I can build you a shanty in my back yard. Come to Aus and build shit with me. Its illegal here too but fuckit :rofl:

9 Likes

I have, time and again, considered starting an international company that builds boards to specifically comply (obviously at the upper limit) with government restrictions and regulations.
IF an electric skateboard needs all this, I am curious if a seat is the only thing that differentiates a fast esk8 from a slow electric car lol.

2 Likes

I was just reading through the requirements to be a valid certification lab in Spain. The mechanical and electrical tests could be performed by a well trained monkey, but you have to at least get incorporated, have a place to conduct them and get ISO9001 certified.

After that and during the 5 year initial period, individuals who already own PEVs could go through your lab and get the certification. It might be doable and even profitable given there must be people that don’t want to toss their scooters in the garbage. Just daydreaming a bit, but it would be kind of awesome to help people get their official certs with the bare minimum requirements covered and the knowledge to switch profiles “for private use”.

4 Likes