Sound from bms, vesc not working

1 Like

1 Like

Yep, a short took place on this right mosfet. So, the consequences:

1. Secure your heatsinks better, like really better next time.
  2. Mosfet’s gate was shorted to power lines, so this fried the DRV chip (that is in your 2nd photo), and possibly fried the mosfet.
  3. You need to repair the vesc, but at this moment it’s easier to buy a new one.

P.S. maybe I am wrong with my assumption that this happened due to unsecured heatsinks, but fried DRV (and mb Mosfet) is a significant damage to the ESC. No one promise that STM32f4 (the brain) is not fried.

1 Like

The second esc looks good I guess :

Yeah, it looks fine. You checked my previous reply, didn’t you?

Where I am pointing, is also some burning

What do you mean by securing the heatsink / how?

Yep, this is DRV chip

1 Like

I see. But what do you mean by securing the heatsink better. How?

If we keep calling it a VESC trampa will lose there right to inforse the trade mark

4 Likes

Actually, you can insulate the legs before you apply the thermal paste like this:

and then you can create a sandwich where heatsinks compress the vesc fets because heatsinks are tightened to each other.

P.S.: I’ve never tried this but who knows, maybe it will work :man_shrugging:

1 Like

So you mean to protect the legs from the paste, right? The paste is suposed to be non-electric conductive. But will definitely be next time more carefully. Esc is working now, and also the one motor. Switching the working esc to the other motor don’t work. So my conclusion is, A obviously the one esc is fried, and B looks like one motor also

1 Like

@longhairedboy could you change yet another “v” in the title. It tickles the wrong people

2 Likes

tough one. Everyone else is calling it a vesc in this thread too, nobody is capitalizing off of it, and its not really the job of this forum’s staff to enforce trademarks.

2 Likes

Would it be problematic to ride with one esc and one motor till I get replacement? Do I have to change any settings in the vesc tool?

What do you think would be the benefit?

• Demotivate the guy who codes all the software for you (bite the feeding hand).
  • make more people get confused over product origin and get stuff delivered they did not intend to buy or get stuff of a random quality delivered. Buy twice…
  • make it easy for dubious dealers to trick noobs or sell low quality clones of the same thing under the same brand name.

We have seen all of the above happening in the past and lots of users lost lots of $$.

A TM is simply a way to keep things apart from another. If you buy a Toyota, you want to be sure you get a Toyota and not a Fiat or vs. What is wrong about both brands having their own identity?

A Maytech ESC is made to a certain standard (HW quality), using certain components (something that might set it apart to other clones), has undergone a certain quality check and there is a certain warranty given and a certain customer support is offered and R&D kickbacks are not involved in pricing. This all makes it a Maytech ESC.

A VESC is made to another standard and HW layout, comes with a different warranty, uses other parts, product support differs, QC is different and R&D kickbacks are priced in, which allows Benjamin Vedder to code new exiting software that is beneficial to the community. That is the software you enjoy every day.

Title should be: Sound xyz BMS, xyz ESC not working.

Simply because there is no VESC involved in the system and people would want to know what kind of BMS we are talking about. It is a certain BMS and It is a VESC compatible third party ESC
and the problem is related to that specific HW and the way it is built and the way it is cooled and put together.

If you have an issue with a Unity, you would state: Issue with Unity.
If you have a problem with a Stormcore, you would state: Problem with Stormcore

Being specific allows other users to hop in and help out. It allows others with similar issues to find solutions faster. This way users with similar HW or users using the same HW are more likely to respond with a more precise answer.

If I have a problem with my fuel pump: Car Forum >> Bosch 0 580 314 076 fuel pump issue.
That is a lot better than Fuel pump not working

We all browse the internet to find solutions and in consequence precision in wording helps us to find the solution faster.

If you advocate to use brand names as a generic term, you are not helping others to tell things apart, to find specific solutions to their problems, to buy what they intend to buy etc. Throwing it all in one bin means others need to do a lot of unnecessary digging, unnecessary frustration and so on.

It’s been told many times, we call things velcro, vesc, etc. It’s all okay until someone wants to create the product called the same as the trademark. This is forum, informal discussion, no one mind calling things officially.

1 Like

I just discovered on the Maytech esc this:

1 Like