Sound from bms, vesc not working

Today motor stopped suddenly while riding. I was lucky that I didn’t get hurt. Anyways, vesc’s don’t power on anymore (I got some smoke), and I get a strange sound from the BMS I believe, when turning power on. Any clue?

1 Like

Looks like vesc is somehow got shorted and bms constantly interrupts the circuit due to the overcurrent. Then it releases and cycle repeats.

Anyway, absolutely any sound from electronics that are not supposed to emit any sounds is a really bad sign

Edit: any details on the setup? What Vesc you re using? Battery voltage? BMS?

1 Like

Maytech 4.12. 50A. BMS unknown. 10S5P

1 Like

Do you have a multimeter to check continuity?

1 Like

No. But I can find one.

1 Like

Well, detaching the vesc from the bms and checking continuity on the vesc input is a good idea IMO. Just don’t forget to be on a safe side and match polarity on the multimeter and vesc. Some sensitive electronics do not like reverse voltage.

Or, the easier way that came to my mind just now, try to turn the board on, when vesc is detached.

1 Like

OK, but what I am looking for than. Sorry but I am an electronic dummy, lol

1 Like

If my initial pessimistic suggestion is right, then there will be no clicking after power-up when vesc is unplugged.

Also, could you post a picture of your setup inside enclosure, please?

1 Like

Where was the magic smoke?

In this enclosure. Can’t say exactly where

You’ll eventually have to remove the esc and heatsinks from in there to diagnose. I’d suggest while you don’t have the tools yet to diagnose, start slowly disassembling it taking good pictures of the hardware without the heatsinks. From there, we can tell what component caused the smoke and whether it’s worth working on a safe fix/replacement

2 Likes

OK, thank you both. Will do that the following days

You was right. No clicking with the vesc’s disconectet

Third Mosfet looks damaged. This is no VESC BTW. It is a Maytech super ESC.

2 Likes

5 Likes

2 Likes

Take more pictures of both ESCs(Good enough, @Trampa ?) on both sides. Current target is to spot what is shorted/fried.

Couldn’t it be that heatsink somehow moved and shorted the right Mosfet’s legs?

1 Like