Some Reporting Issues with Vesc Wand (Under investigation)

I saw parts of it. Thanks for the confirmation.

1 Like

Clarification.

So Rene, thx for showing how it works for you, as it does for us and our customers, Benjamin Vedder himself and all the guys who ride NRF remotes since years.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
I hope the weather in Hamburg is rideable.

I did the same test today at home with massive stone walls.
9m straight than around the corner.
The signal drops exactly in the moment I move around the corner.
Without case I can walk 1.5m further around the corner before the signal drops as well.
Neither of this two situations I can image happen while riding.

@Trampa unfortunately it’s not an argument to say that your riders don’t have any issue. There boards are mainly your boards with your hardware I guess, so the environment the wand was designed and tested with.
Other people might have different setups and different hardware, also different countries might have different signals and signal densities.
To all other I think this thread went in a wrong direction. There are enough wand riders out who doesn’t have issues. Most of the issues people had where resolved by trampa or Benjamin’s firmware update.
If people think the alu case is an issue, than they should work into the direction to find a diy solution for it. I thought we are a diy community… problems are there to solve them and not to get bitchy about a company or person.

14 Likes

The flipsky module has an external antenna, it doesn’t have the correct firmware when you get it so you need to update it yourself with the VESC tool. It only has pads since they use a pogopin setup to do a one time programing, if you have good soldering skills you can easily add some wires an program it with a VESC. (Would be nice if they sold a programing rig/header or if someone made one for it)

I got a replacement wand, haven’t had the time to test it fully but seems to be ok now. The jumping to full acceleration when pressing pressing the throttle is ok on this new wand. Thanks @Trampa for the quick replacement.

1 Like

We shouldn’t have to 3d print a case for a 150$ remote. At that point I might as well 3d print something for mini remote at least the connectivity is bulletproof there and it costs only $20.

8 Likes

Thanks M77 I have updated the list above.

That leaves 4 people who had issues who we are yet to hear from

1 Like

@myreala do you have issues with your wand?
If no than you also don’t need to make anything.
There is nowhere mentioned that the wand can control your board through a 1.5m thick wall

1 Like

@Lee_Wright My Wand had a pot movement problem and was promptly replaced.No problems with new one.Great service from Trampa.
Am using it on DIY La Croix with a CF enclosure.The receiver is in heat shrink and mounted external to enclosure clipped to motor leads.
Have never had any connection issues and it works over about 20m in free air away from board
Cheers

2 Likes

Ok great I updated the list, just a few more to check

It might be an unpopular opinion but personally I would love to see this data. If you have numbers from repeatable testing then publishing this information will get you far more respect from the community than unsubstantiated claims about hardware performance.

6 Likes

Facts only limit fantasy options.
Since when do we need facts to bullshit around?

I would also be very interested in this!

2 Likes

I am pretty sure the Flipsky module will not work as a WAND receiver, because the nRF they are using only has 16kB RAM and when nothing has changed you need a nRF chip with 32kB RAM for it to work.

As far as I know 16kb should work.

2 Likes

That was 2 seperate instances with a lot of conversation in between were Frank proved himself a liar. Your message was pretty and political, did nothing to further the conversation and you should be ashamed. I doubt you will, but you should.

@Lee_Wright you consider this a fix? If so I wonder about your criteria.

Interesting. I contacted Benjamin back in May when remote connection was not working for me and he told me:

Did you by any chance use a nrf51 with 16k ram? It only works on the 32k versions.

On his GitHub in the makefile it still says:

Use FW for 16k ram with limited functionality

Would be good to know why you think it works.
If it works that would be a good replacement receiver dongle for people that have their electronics in CF enclosures.

3 Likes

Carbon fibre box bro, what else can you do?

1 Like