Some Reporting Issues with Vesc Wand (Under investigation)

So there is nothing between the tx and rx but now remote positioning is causing the problems? Come on man, Make a better rx and stop fucking around with people’s safety.

8 Likes

Yeah the wand does display v1.2. I have the reciever taped to the side of the box so the aluminium can’t block it, but it is a major problem if your reciever can get bocked by a small plate of aluminium,as you literaly house the vesc and wand in aluminium , which as you say would would block the signal

2 Likes

Some riders are left handed, and ride regular and put the receiver diagonally opposing the Wand and in a bad angle, so that RF reception is far from ideal. You simply have to assure that the receiver and Wand have good placement towards each other which is indicated by the fast blinking dots. We place the receiver top of the box, on our MTBs and the reception is always perfect. On my street boards with underboard tray I place the receiver on the side of the enclosure, under the controlling hand, toe side. For those who have issues to find a good spot for the receiver, we will offer a receiver with port for an antenna soon. Since the antenna is not a lot smaller than the receiver itself you might just place the receiver in an ideal position for good RF reception.

5 Likes

:pray: that’s some good news!
Please post a link here as soon as they available in the shop.

3 Likes

you can steal my PCB antenna design for nrf52 if you like… have proven open range of 30-50m…
Not so sure about enclosed space however.

7 Likes

@Soflo Because @Pimousse didn’t respond to my offer sending a nRF52840 based module for testing I think I should be able to send it with the Metr Pro US group buy to the US when your are interested. Should also be possible to make one for @Andy87. I think PCB antenna should be fine because I already saw twice the range compared to the nRF51 based Trampa dongle in my field test with a nRF52840 based one.

6 Likes

@hexakopter I’d love to give it a shot. At this point I trust a benchwheel remote more than I trust the wand. Im excited 3rd parties are taking the lead on this and making it happen! Thank you @hexakopter! let me know when, where, and how much monies to send

4 Likes

Didn’t I ??
I should have missed it then.
Nevermind, that’s great other can try also alternatives :+1:

EDIT : just saw it. I didn’t get this was directed to me. :smile:

1 Like

Today the Wand brought me pain and embarrassment :disappointed_relieved:

Yesterday I switched to the Wand remote on my commuter (additional to my MTB). Well I reached work and there is a last uphill passage where I was riding quite fast and suddenly total power loss (or brakes not sure). In front of many colleagues I was going down like a moron. Although wearing elbow pads I have this great burning wound and my mobile is crushed.

The display of the Wand is dead and smart reverse is not working anymore. I tried new batteries but still dead.

Now I have 2 boards without remote, great :ok_hand:

7 Likes

By the sound of it, you needed a new remote anyways. All these cutouts being blamed on the user when in all honesty, the remote seems fucked. Get yourself a Puck and never worry about a cutout ever again… doesn’t matter how you hold it or what it goes inside of…

4 Likes

Damn rich. Hope you are ok! I recommend something that can survive a crash. I’ve been using the VX1, I miss the telemetry but it’s never let me down, unlike the wand.

5 Likes

If you need a remote i have a g2tb modded for sale?
Maybe a TB Nano remote too

1 Like

Sure it’s remote related and not a temp cutout or a cutout for another reason, ABS over current etc. Any issues before this incident, or did you have had seamless operation during the ride?

Thanks for your comments guys :grin:

Ordered a VX1 last week on aliexpress, too. It’s a great remote except the short throw so not the best for powerful setups. I tried it on my MTB and it’s dangerous (unintended wheelies) but fortunately I have an old VX2 laying around to replace the Wand. For my commuter I can use the old steez until the VX1 arrives.

3 Likes

I commute with the urban carver since 2 years to work and never had a cutout. Also the setup is still the same, the only thing I’ve changed is the remote. On the MTB with the Wand I have seldom hard cut offs during hard acceleration especially uphill but without getting a fault code. Today it was a quite similar situation but without bindings to save me.

I have no idea what happened but I think that something went wrong on the PCB today. The display is not working anymore (but don’t think because of the crash). I still can switch the remote on and off, acceleration and brake is working but smart reverse NOT which is weird.

The board was performing as usual until the crash happened. Also there are no interferences in this area where it happened. I was commuting to work with the MTB and the Wand several times before without issues.

I did play around a bit today.
For people riding regularly and hold the remote the signal is really fucked.
Maybe it’s a feature… lets call it fist control :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

:flushed:

3 Likes

What the hell. Can the same behavior be observed for other remotes ?

1 Like

Not sure if I want to go on the street like this. Unfortunately my gt2b did let me down some days ago. I have a vx1 and a puck comming, but till that I can either risk it or just don’t drive.

Would need to be tested. Can’t say.

1 Like