Some New FOCers (84V VESC 6 based controllers)

i am running into the same fitting issue with my XR chassis. your solution looks pretty solid for the beta test… from the pictures posted by NuRxG above it looks like the onewheel plus and XR have the exact same chassis and connectors… The PCB is the same but the XR has slightly different components soldered in in some places… like different sized capacitors, etc…

A couple of questions i think i could manage through if i had to but maybe you have already done the work or done it in a better way…

1. I am trying to run down the exact connector types/part numbers that were soldered to the board… have you found any or are you just cutting the connectors off the motor, footpads, etc and wiring it direct?
  2. have you already mapped the motor sensors? 3xHall, temp, pwr/grnd? if so, what method did you use?
  3. My controller was fastened to the aluminum plate that screws onto that plastic controller box with 5 1/4 inch nuts and what looks like 1 rivet… any pointers on getting the rivet loose? i was planning to try to trim the edges and get it lose with a dremel but i am open to better ideas.
2 Likes

confused, what side do you have? no controller box? I cut my connectors off because I’m not ussing their case.

wire 5V and use multimeter to look for signal on hall wires.

pics

https://www.digikey.nl/product-detail/en/molex/0194350611/WM19921-ND/3183319?_ga=2.84648537.1321965869.1565640431-455040727.1565640431

https://www.digikey.nl/product-detail/en/molex/0194290040/WM7388-ND/3044519

https://www.digikey.nl/product-detail/en/molex/0194170025/WM14268CT-ND/6132998

https://www.digikey.nl/product-detail/en/switchcraft-inc/EN3P6MX/SC267-ND/2080472

5 Likes

you are my hero

1 Like

@Fosterqc i am trying not to mutilate the controller… its xr and may be valuable to someone. So i either need to find the connectors for my focer or cut the other end of the connectors off and use something else… but it looks like flux found everything i need.

2 Likes

ohhh I forgot they are part of the PCB not the case, duh.

you could prob trade the working one for a dead one pretty easily!

Also they are available on mouser.com or something idk, facebook knows.

switchcraft.com <- for the hall and footpad sensors

The main motor one is some kind of automotics jiggy

1 Like

Here we go again…18S on a Funwheel.

9 Likes

Anyone knows if the little Focer has pads for pulldown resistors?

1 Like

@Fungineers, Nope I just added the pulldown resistors in line today. Just tested out my wheel at 12s. Was going to move up later today to 16s and 18s. Should go to 20s just to get ahead of you :rofl:

5 Likes

You’re the hero we need right now bruh!

3 Likes

Am i the only one, who isn’t using the FOCer on a balancing vehicle?

6 Likes

I am. I’ve got your back

2 Likes

On my wheel :rofl:. 18s feels great. Nowhere near the top end, need some more time on it first to trust everything.

9 Likes

Off topic, but if you have high/low voltage tiltbacks configured, that dial will use those as min/max values, and you should configure high/low voltage tiltbacks to protect your battery.

4 Likes

I was actually wondering about that. Thanks for the clarification

I did have the low voltage tilt back configured, but left the high voltage one alone since I was playing between 12s-18s. Probably could have set that at 84V at the very least!

3 Likes

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
I think those are 1206 smd. Fits pretty good.

Also me: I wonder why my vescs blow up.

Please help me petition for @shaman to include pulldowns pads.

10 Likes

If anyone is following the subthread on connectors… the EN3P6MX does not fit my XR footpads and motor censor connectors… the pins are in the right place and the casing is the right size, but the pins are too fat… the exact part number seems to be EN3P6MRAPCBN‎ ref: https://www.digikey.nl/products/en?keywords=EN3P6MRAPCBN‎%20

picture of EN3P6MX with the XR board connectors
image|690x260

The molex connectors and pins look exactly right… will be confirming tonight when i get a chance to build the connectors and put a few pieces together on the bench

4 Likes

so i feel like an idiot… the end of the EN3P6MX that the pins were too fat was the back side … the pins fit just fine… the EN3P6MRAPCBN‎ is still the exact same connector as soldered to the board but the EN3P6MX works fine. sorry for the confusion all… and lmao i am embarassed

4 Likes

Hey, I’ve been lurking for a while and this is my first post. All the work and testing that has gone into this project is amazing. It is fun to look through the thread and see it go from an idea/CAD drawing to something that is powered up, running, and pushing one wheels/bicycles.

The FOCer 2 interests me because I would like an inexpensive V6 based “dev board” to play around with different transistor configurations and current sensors. I have a lot of both and want to learn. With the FOCer 2 being open source it is likely the way I will go.

As a completed product the little FOCer also has value to me, so it will be interesting to see how it comes out. If you are getting a bottleneck in assembly it would even be fun to have it in a kit form. I have two friends that are competing to have the fastest M365 style scooter!

Like everyone else I’m interested in more power (duh). I’ve already read that the focus is on the LFOCer and a few others that are larger for right now. The following is just discussion for anyone else who is interested.

I’ve been researching hybrid and EV traction motor drive modules and almost all of them use big IGBT or SIC modules like these

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Infineon-Technologies/FS770R08A6P2LBBPSA1?qs=PzGy0jfpSMuIG6xOrBIO1g%3D%3D

Is anyone else using a VESC style control systems for these devices? Is there a more appropriate place to discuss it? 200V/300A is all I would ever really want. I know that’s a lot, but it’s not too much beyond a Sevcon. It is easier to read the VESC source code than the Sevcon manual.

1 Like