Some New FOCers (84V VESC 6 based controllers)

New Stats

• +5 Wisdom
  • +5 Intellegence
  • +5 Endurance

New Title - “Ruler of FOCer

• While holding the title, you will gain influence and glory in the world of esk, but you will feel exhausted, starved and a loss of freetime.
8 Likes

I just found this thread while researching funwheel. I am in the dallas area and i am working on a project with a mechanical engineer who is also in the DFW onewheel meetup group. Please add me to your beta list (or if full) your interest list. I would be willing to buy a beta board so i can get started on a POC to completely replacing the FM bms and controller(s) to achieve voltage independence and basically make an CBXR in a Pints body.

I also have interest in building a better/open source management app if the bluetooth provides enough metrics to support the features users would want

5 Likes

Yeah I’m also hoping to get a broken pint to make a build in!

Hope to see you make a thread about it someday
:smile:

2 Likes

I’m shipping beta units this week. I’ve reached out to the beta testers that I’m aware of. I’m not the most organized so I might have accidentally missed someone. If you know that you were selected as a beta tester but you didn’t receive a message, PM me and provide the conversation where this was agreed upon. This is not the opportunity for new testers to sign up.

6 Likes

Also interested in this, hope you make a thread on that :ok_hand: :smiley:

2 Likes

Check PMs man. Would be cool to connect locally.

1 Like

done, apologies for the delay

for sure, helping the community have more options is a primary goal for me here

1 Like

These things are kinda tedious to make…but fun!

I’m really thinking about how to crank these out more efficiently.

14 Likes

I would love one of these, I have everything for an 18s battery fun wheel except the esc.

2 Likes

My one thought to make assembly more efficient for you is to change the way the wires are attached. Screw terminals (the big, high-current kind) might increase BOM cost, but the consistency of assembly might make life easier for you and perhaps tip the time/money balance. It also puts the responsibility for wires/connectors on the end user rather than manufacturing. Terminals could also be selective resistance soldered.

1 Like

I hopefully have something interesting for testing. I have a electric scooter citycoco where I upgraded battery to 20s8p NCR18650BD so it can deliver constant current of 50A with bursts of 100A and while fully charged I can pull 200A for seconds :grin:

It has 1500w motor from the factory but there is a lot of steel to take a heat around it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May you include me in the beta test?

I have two of those motors in my scooter :joy:. Though still using the stock 60v 35a battery. Wonder how many amps the stock battery can do. It’s currently discharging via the charge port on the bms so the only limit is the battery exploding :joy:. I plan to just add more battery packs if I want more power though.

Do you use a stencil and oven/fryingpan atleast (yes I said fryingpan, it fucking works. ok?)

PM me if you ever need help with a EU pnp fab, I know a guy :wink:

5 Likes

Nice one

The SMD stuff comes mostly done already. I just finish out what’s left.

Ideally I have the boards made with at least 100% of the SMD stuff done and I do the rest. I can sustain this approach at around 50 to 100 units a month. I have help with assembly. If demand increases, then I’ll have to have to outsource manufacturing/assembly.

6 Likes

Most Beta units have been shipped except for some units going to testers that were backfill from ones that dropped out.

Already have 1 tester reporting initial results. Looks good so far. Just waiting for the other units to arrive and to gather more diverse data.

I tested the Little FOCer with an external NRF. It worked fine. My failed attempts to integrate a module into the design are simply due to the bad choice of NRF module and not a compatibility issue. Will be investigating proper modules for production release.

7 Likes

I want to try please. Can I yank 200 phase amps with really good cooling?

3 Likes

Nah that’s a different level for a different design :slight_smile:

This one is meant for 84V and 75A to 90A depending on cooling. The Serious FOCer is targeted for 84V and 150A with the potential to go a little higher in current if you have really good cooling.

7 Likes

Is there any word on whether this will have an IMU?

1 Like