Some New FOCers (84V VESC 6 based controllers)

I am not a fan of screw terminals because if the wire moves, the strain occurs on just the metal part of the wire and not the insulation which leads to the wires snapping off at that point. I wonder if they make screw terminals with built-in strain relief. This video was informative:

Probably too expensive but looks cool:

Yeah but keep in mind the terminal has to handle hundreds of amps for the application in mind.

1 Like

Oh thought you were talking about jst replacements. I much prefer xt and bullets for those connections. I like what trampa did where they just used more connectors for more amps.

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Mind elaborating so we can have a valuable discussion?

2 Likes

More connector sets adds a lot of bulk. The extra connectors, the extra wiring, etc. Plus, the battery then has to be made with matching multiple connectors, or you have to make an adaptor from the single large connector on your battery to the multiple small connectors on your ESC (which is even more bulk).

Not to mention the added resistance. Brass bullet connectors have higher resistance than copper wire. Solder joints have MUCH higher resistance than copper wire. Therefore, we should be trying to limit the number of bullets and solder connections in our circuit. It’s much better to use thicker copper wire, a properly spec’d connector, and as few solder joints as possible.

I understand why Trampa did what they did. It’s much easier to work with smaller gauge wires. It’s easier for their factory workers to affix to the PCB, it’s easier for their customers to solder connectors for, etc. Also, three male XT90’s are about 1/20th of the price of one larger connector like a QS8. So it makes sense for them to do it, from a business standpoint.

But from an engineering a practicality standpoint, I dont agree with it. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

EDIT: I stand corrected on the electrical theory. Please see this post, and the posts following it for real math from someone who is actually smart:

9 Likes

To bring this back on topic for the LittleFoccer, I agree with @baein that screw terminals could be great for this application.

I’m pretty sure that @baein was not talking about this kind of screw terminal. I think he was talking about the kind found on the ZESC:

And also found on my KitPCB battery systems:

These can be rated for huge amps, as they are basically just big blocks of copper or brass. They are also super easy to solder or wave solder to a PCB. They do, unfortunately, require the customer to crimp/solder their own cable lugs to affix to the terminal, but its much easier to make a good quality crimp for large gauge wire than it is to make a good quality solder joint (for most people).

One possible solution for super high current ESCs would be to use these screw terminals to make affixing a cable/connector set to their PCB much easier (rather than having to solder a single 6AWG wire to a flat PCB contact) and make the other end of the cableset a standard connector that’s more user friendly, like a QS8 connector. Then the ESC would come from the factory with the cableset screwed/loctited in place permanently, so the end user never has to worry about screw terminals unless they want to.

Just an idea :person_shrugging: I’m sure that whatever @shaman decides on will be great!

7 Likes

I think you nailed it but it’s also easier for the customers. As a customer, I also appreciate the ease of use and price savings of xt90s, bullets and smaller gauge wires.

1 Like

Love it

1 Like

Pretty much everything @BenjaminF said, and in addition:

Multiple parallel connectors for high amperage can add safety risk as well, because if one connector were to fail, the device would still operate, except at a higher temperature / fire risk.

3 Likes

@shaman Just letting you know the new Lfoc cases from Makerspev do NOT fit well. There is a pinch point for one of the phase wires against the actual metal enclosure and the cables bend the top red plat up at the edges because they are too thick/sides of metal enclosure are too short. Just thought I would let you know for future casing designs.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ll see what can be done to minimize abrasion. Ideally a rubber grommet type thing.

Though ugly, the lid compressing down onto the cables do provide a sort of strain relief.

5 Likes

Great to hear you are considering screw terminals, I have them on my Fluxx with maytech 300A and dual Raiden 7’s, so far I can report with springs and enough tight I have so far not had a single terminal come undone nor be loose either, So I found them to work really great and be great for getting nicer cable runs.

Most Ebike/E-moto with china controllers that are bigger most of the time use screw terminals for all the connections aswell.

1 Like

Are there already Schematics for the Focers above available?
I would be glad to help, build the prototypes and report errors for you.
I’m attending a technical school for coding, electronics and ai and we have the tools
to make the pcbs ourselves. Also most of the components we have in stock.
Thank’s in advance for your reply,

Niklas Probst

1 Like

The products I sell commercially don’t have schematics available but I do have some open source hardware projects out there.

Right now there’s the Cheap FOCer series that are open hardware and have the schematics available. The CFOC3 is in progress and progress can be found in the link below.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply shaman,
is it possible to use higher voltage fets on the cheap focer 2 and an appropriate driver
for a 20s conversion? I need a little more power out of this thing :smiley:

1 Like

Or are there 20s diy VESC based controllers? I’m a FAN of Diy and have the tools for producing pcbs.

Hope I’m just overlooking it but is there a way to purchase these ? Like what ya got going on here :+1:

2 Likes

This is the thread now and it’s for sale. Links in the original post.

1 Like