Some New FOCers (84V VESC 6 based controllers)

no, he cannot…

2 Likes

Oh. Maybe I don’t know the correct person to ask for. Well I guess we just have to wait

1 Like

Noooo! Let’s find the proper person!!! Lol
No more waits… I want mine!! :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

1 Like

You must ask @jamie or @longhairedboy

2 Likes

This is strange…
I thought that I already had my root canal on that one done a long time ago. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

welp. New thread. Bittersweet launch. You’ll find out why in the thread.

6 Likes

I follow this project since few months now.
Very interesting project and excellent work :wink:
I am building an open source project too for escooter dashboards/display compatible with VESC : github Koxx3/SmartController_SmartDisplay_ESP32
I’d like it to be compatible with 20s, but I struggle with the DC/DC part. I based my architecture on LM5164, but there is a worldwide shortage on this component.
So …my question is : what DC/DC buck converter are you using for your 15V ? is it still available ?

1 Like

Replied via PM

Reading some of my old posts. This one made me chuckle

7 Likes

Lol :rofl:

That’s always the concern when stocking a new product, but I’m glad that it was unfounded in your case :slightly_smiling_face: you deserve the success you’re seeing!

4 Likes

Thanks man! I hope to see some good feedback from customers

2 Likes

Use this one from China, it works great, XL7045E1, 1ku price around 0.08$

1 Like

This chip has a max input voltage of 80V. A fully charged 20S battery is 84V. And ideally you want some margin. So a 95V or higher DC/DC converter chip is what I would suggest for 20S

2 Likes

Whats the deal with only 6 mosfets for 250A? Generally higher current boards have more mosfets, but these 6 are BIG, is it like a size vs space vs cost triangle? Im used to seeing people just slapping more and more mosfets on.

2 Likes

Has anyone gotten encoders to work with these? I can’t seem to get mine to work.

1 Like

There’s a tradeoff between just adding more mosfets or going with a bigger sized mosfet. Adding more mosfets in parallel can be less electrically stable and require a lot of attention in the design so that current is shared evenly. Simply going to a larger mosfet doesn’t have as much risk. In my case, I wouldn’t be able to jam in more TO-220 mosfets without making the PCB much bigger but I saw a way to go with the larger TO-247 package size.

5 Likes

For the v1 units? Could you take that over to the correct thread and provide more details on exactly what you’re doing and how it’s not working?

@shaman, what thread is that?

1 Like

This one

2 Likes

Can you tell me about how you determined the current limit? Is it just by experimentation, thats all you can get out of the fets before they overheat? Would better heatsinking allow higher current? Or is it avalanche related? I ask because i am looking to do a similar design on a different mcu platform and want to know how to pick a fet that wont blow when i run @58v, 100A

1 Like