So this is probably the best DIY skate community ATM.

General DIY skate (analog skate) has a problem, and that is… It doesn’t have a real great community right now.
Best its got is a mostly dead subreddit, that only covers deck building.

I would like to try and do something to help build a place for it to better thrive.
But it seems silly to try and build something new when there’s already such a great community here that has tons of overlaps with just general DIY skate.

So my question is, how much room is there fit in some of that here?
Is that too far out of scope?

5 Likes

I am not sure that I understand what are you trying to say here?

When you say DIY skate do you mean like non electric skate in general?

3 Likes

What am I? Chopped liver?

I don’t check in for a few days and already the community has fallen apart!? :joy::man_shrugging:

I thought I was the only one that ever contradicted themselves in the same post… man… what are you even saying here?

Can I get somebody to come and take a look at this?

Already done. Still don’t understand.

He wants to create a corner for analogue skates here, as there isn’t a big community elsewhere. Which I kinda doubt, but I have no idea where to look because fuck pushing.

@longhairedboy analogue skate corner in here yes/no?

2 Likes

I love the idea. We already share a common interest in skating and a lot of us still push skate regularly.

It could help bridge the gap between esk8 and push skate as well.

More knowledge and resources in a common area is good. It boosts traffic here as well and maybe an awesome new collaboration happens down the line as a result.

I say go go go!

8 Likes

Yes.
Normally I’d say gravity skate, but wanted to speak as broadly as possible. So I guess analog skate would be the better term.

There’s plenty of places already where people talk about the skating itself, and showing off their setups they just bought, and the gear they can buy. But Way less in terms of DIY and making gear yourself., Pressing your own deck, pouring bushings or wheels. Designing and making your own trucks.

All those different non-electric DIY aspects are already discussed here, some of it, like making trucks especially I feel are discussed more here than probably anywhere else. But at the moment its really only discussed only so far as it fits into Eskate.

4 Likes

I guess one reason for that could be that esk8s require specific details out of trucks (ie. width to clear motors, consistent profiles for mounts), that most regular trucks won’t do, or are moving away from (good luck finding anything wider than 180mm from most brands for example). Hence the need to develop our own rather than use all the options available for regular skaters. Regular skaters have plenty of choices right now, esk8 not so much.

1 Like

I’m sure that’s one of the reasons.

But I think another big reason is just because Eskate is very DIY in general, and doing more DIY is just part of the bug. Its a disease.

2 Likes

Considering the increasing divide in what parts each side uses, I’m all for it. More knowledge=more Lego parts.

2 Likes

Lego isn’t just a product it’s a lifestyle

1 Like

Hired a new maintenance mechanic a few months ago at my day job, and come to find out later, he is an avid downhiller here in Colorado. (He even as pics of him and Josh Newman a few years back in Jamestown). He didn’t know much about Esk8 other than a meepo or boosted board. After seeing a couple of my boards, he became interested. He was very shocked at the price I gave him to get going on a board like mine, (even with me basically providing the whole drive train at material cost, or actually better). But he recently showed me a set of used Aera K4’s with scratches that he gladly paid $300 for. :crazy_face: :crazy_face:
I am gonna be working with him on a set of RKP trucks this summer when I get time. I’m wondering if its getting together with these guys that might help things for Esk8, and, maybe, directing them here???

11 Likes

Yesss! We need the experience of downhillers to make the best trucks. Many downhillers know a lot about the hidden / often undiscussed parts of truck making for example. There are so many details that influence the ride of the truck, the designing of most esk8 RKPs doesn’t even scratch the surface imo. For example I am yet to see a single esk8 truck with pivot cups that aren’t caliber compatible (different pivot pin shapes and sizes influence the ride), raked trucks are rare, not much experimenting has been done with the bushing seats, all esk8 trucks I know of can only fit 0.6" bushings, no 0.75", no truck has queen pins or similar slop stopping systems, I didn’t see spherical bearings being used either… There is so much stuff to experiment with!

Getting LDP (pump) people in here who know something about truck design could also help make more surfy / carvy trucks, that could give competition to the DKPs and TKPs.

I am all for an analog skate corner on the forum! It should definitely have a few subcategories though.
Some suggestions:

• Downhill and freeride (could be combined or separate depending on how many subcategories we would want)
  • LDP push and pump (surfskates could be here too) (could be combined or separate)
  • DIY parts (DIY decks, trucks, wheels, bushings go in here) (could be combined or separate)
  • Tricks and longboard dancing could also be a category, but I don’t think that would be too popular, my guess is most people who are enthusiastic enough to chat skate stuff on a forum are more into DH/FR/LDP which is much more dependant on good gear than dancing / tricks are
9 Likes

While it’s always good to learn from others, a downhill setup seems very different to me than Esk8. I don’t see any Esk8 ers pushing their board 90 degrees into the path of motion to stop. And I think if you rode through an urban area with a downhill setup, it wouldn’t work out well without lifting the front of the board via the traditional skate method. Again, I don’t see Esk8 pushing down on the back part of the board to pivot turn. Esk8 needs to turn effectively at slow speeds but high stability at 40+ mph. Which is a great challenge unto itself. All part of the fun DIY Esk8 journey.

I think you’d be surprised.

DH has gone in a direction more about maneuverability and control, and doesn’t massively detune its steering so often like in the early days.

3 Likes

Would be an interesting YouTube video… 50 mph downhill and then skating through a city on the same set up. I couldn’t do the downhill personally… too chicken shit. :smile:

This is super handy for tight urban maneuvering, but kicktailed esk8’s are pretty niche in general.

2 Likes