So.... Endless ride, how we doing?

Would you honestly consider it perfect?

Be honest now…

No. Perfected in a way that no one has yet reached or passed the Endless mode implementation.

3 Likes

This. So much this. I have rode TBDD’s one time, and the biggest stand out feature was the seemly endless free-roll. You could get that thing up to 25mph on flat ground, let off the throttle, and just keep going for what felt like minutes (probably about a minute until coming to a complete stop).

Endless mode would be amazing on something like that. I cant wait to see what the bigbrains can do.

3 Likes

I’ve never tried one, only conceptualized so I’m genuinely curious.

In your opinion what would be more useful:

1. existing mellow-like mode where it automatically slows you after a while at max speed regardless of remote input.

2. a button/trigger you hold down on the remote that is constant push cruise while you’re holding it. When you let off, it free rolls until you brake or re-engage cruise control.

Lets tag some big brains in here then.

For me personally option 2.

I would hold my remote in the hand anyway so being able to keep rolling and not have to push again if i’m really lazy at that moment is preferred.

So push to the desired speed and press button/hold or whatever to activate CC. Let go to deactivate and freeroll until i push again.

Activate again while freerolling to lock in that speed.

1 Like

This is what I suggest as the best option as well. If the remote has braking on it, I don’t need automatic braking to stop me, I’d prefer true free roll with the option to brake.

@DerelictRobot do you think this would be better implemented by a remote, an esc, or the 2 in conjunction. I don’t particularly think they both need to be doing the same task at the same time. Room for error.

1 Like

I suppose that’s just a toggled cruise control then right? Not really push assist?

Aren’t motors and a throttle just push assist then? Or rather, doesn’t mellow just activate a timed cruise control?

You can always just hold the cruise button, let off to slow, push and hold. It would be more user intuitive but the thought of a board controlling itself without my input is terrifying.

1 Like

I think for safety purposes you’d still want a remote as a Killswitch in the very least.

1 Like

Certainly need a remote. I just mean which device would be better suited to command the endless implementation.

1 Like

I personally feel that option 2 defeats the purpose. If I’m holding down the throttle or a button or cruise control or whatever, then why am I even kicking? I think that an implementation exactly like Mellow did, (maybe with the added customization of the negative ramping time) would be perfect, and a good starting point for people to get using and figure out what other features they want.

2 Likes
2 Likes

The throttle button doesn’t EVER accelerate you. It’s purpose is only to read your kicking speed you get up to and maintain it. No throttle what so ever.

1 Like

Idk what your exact point your trying to make is but that remote is still used for braking only, like my intent.

2 Likes

Endless is super simple really, it slows your deceleration after your kick and that’s it.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure why we’re talking about the remote though, I want to hold a remote and brake with it as I said in the first post.

1 Like

This should have been attached to your video so I know what part of the video you were wanting to talk about.

I see the difference in our ideals now.

2 Likes

How about this:

-Kick to get going, no button-holding required.
-It maintains your speed without ramping down like Mellow.
-When you want to turn off endless mode, tap up on the throttle (i.e. first push up on the throttle from endless mode does not accelerate you, it just takes you out of endless, and throttle then works like normal). You would then coast to a stop like you normally would under no power.
-Brakes still work as expected during endless mode, and would also kick you out of endless into coasting.

3 Likes

Basically you’re describing pushing up to speed and then letting your motors hold you there until you’re ready to free roll to an end. Perfectly understandable, more like an eks8 but with way better battery life as you’re taking all the energy of acceleration on your leg.

I’m talking about pushing as on a normal board but with artificial power behind it like mellow has implemented. The thing that appeals to me is the process of constant pushing, even for lazy old people like me :joy:

3 Likes