SKP Esk8 100mph build

I know you’ve already ordered parts, but did you consider nkps? I feel like this is the kind of thing they’re designed for

4 Likes

Yeah but there is no drive system I am willing to use on those

1 Like

No way I am doing open GD or belts

2 Likes

Boardnamics geardrives for nkp

You’ll probably lose some of your hearing tho

5 Likes

I don’t think I trust that mounting mechanism, untested, want to see how it holds up for other people

Plus yeah, then things are loud

7 Likes

Yea, totally get that. I to do not understand how Moe and company can trust that open gear solution so completely.

4 Likes

Yeah works for them, but I am not a fan

2 Likes

Trust is subjective, Moe will always be a bit biased since he designed it

4 Likes

Did I hear airstrip? I’m your guy!!

1 Like

if you combined an RC Airplane and a Esk8 you would fit right in

4 Likes

How exactly are you imagining that would work? :thinking:

12 Likes

The redember44 would be a great choice imo

@jamie

6 Likes

yeah like that but with four vectoring engines.

@skyart you considered a parachute for slowing down?

3 Likes

You know, I have been wondering this for a long time, but it really appears in years of doing extreme shit with it they’ve had no issues.

They’ve had several issues throughout the stooge boards themselves and have constantly fixed/refined things… yet to my knowledge, never a significant issue with the open gear drive.

As much as I’m inclined to think it’s somewhat dangerous, years of experience seems to speak otherwise.

3 Likes

Yea, I think you’re right about that. I doubt moe would keep using open gears if he thought they were in any way a hazard. It’s a bit weird to say, but for me I don’t really care if it works, Im just not really comfortable with it on a more conceptual level.

Not to take anything away from Moe’s design, but it was optimized for racing, which means minimum weight and number of components are goals. Races are also at least a bit more controlled from a surface perspective than commutes. My point is that while it’s a reliable design it might not be optimal for street riding. There are some members who’ve been riding a lot on that drivetrain and they can comment on direct experiences.

6 Likes

so happy to open this and see your name and not some random first build noob :joy:

5 Likes

or embrace the speed fully and see if you can launch an eWingsuit, got to be close at 100 THEN its parachute time :joy:

EDIT: maybe if you can take the board with you when you leave the ground you don’t need it after all … apparently some controllable wheels capable of running at 80 km/hr on rigid frame is what you need to land without a parachute :joy:

“Well bellyflop onto a runway at 24km/hr downward speed is very problematic. That’s the kind of downward speed you’d get from dropping from a 9m roof. Now jumping off a 3m roof is easy enough if you land on your legs, but you’ll be seriously injured if you bellyflop onto the ground.

But practical wheels would be really tricky. Small wheels running at 80 km/hr are really hard to control even on a rigid frame.”

7 Likes

I wouldn’t go with Lacroix since the deck is a little short and narrow for that speed. I went over 70km/h on the flux with channel trucks and about 80km/h with both Titan decks and RKP. Both were stable. The Titan was on 110mm thane which felt a little more stable than the Flux on pneumatics. In general you should aim for a wide, long, low deck with a larger wheelbase. Wide trucks are not bad too, but the street must be very flat as wider the trucks are, since they prone to follow truck lanes. I also don’t see the need for one SC per motor. Just go with one dual Spintend 100V. It will probably get the Job done. But I really advice to don’t try to go faster than 100km/h on any ESK8. It sounds cool and tempting, but it’s just too risky on that new tech.

2 Likes

Looks like I am going to try the tomiboi deck for this, aslong as it’s stiff, With maybe a tiny bit of flex. It should work

4 Likes