SKP Esk8 100mph build

What’s a good way to balance a motor or a wheel? Ive heard of using a laser mounted on the hanger and adding or subtracting material based on what the laser point looks like, trying to keep it small and stable, but that’s time consuming. Would a car tire balancer work or any other ideas?

1 Like

Drone prop balancer? It’s a scaled down version of what I use to balance motorcycle wheels. You could balance the motor bell with it if you were able to slide the motor shaft past the bell a bit and let it rest on the balancer.

They all follow this basic design. A shaft sitting on a set of bearings that you gently rotate to find the heavy spot, then either add a weight or remove by sanding.

4 Likes

Wow. And cheap. Just need an adapter for wheels or bells

2 Likes

Reviews seem exceedingly mixed on that one

2 Likes

I don’t mess with balancing a tire/wheel.

I think if you have non precision rims, balancing a tire isn’t going to do you much good. The only thing I do is try to center the tire on the rim and hold it in place while I inflate. There is no science in how I approach this, just eyeballing that the tire is as much as possible centred on the rim if the rim diameter is slightly too loose for the tire ID. But I don’t even have to do this, I have pretty much only used finality rims for over a year now and they fit the tires I use very snug and most of the time there is hardly ever any wobble to worry about.

2 Likes

You’d still have the stem imbalance at the very least right?

I don’t know, doesn’t seem to be a factor in that video I posted or in the ride feel

I think at this level of speed, minor wheel imbalance will be occurring at such a high frequency that you won’t even be able to feel it.

3 Likes

Yeah, resonating frequencies come into play with an imbalance like this.

For example, you might have horrible wobble at 21 mph specifically, but at 25, not as bad, or at 19, not as bad

2 Likes

With the different tire brands being used in esk8, the variance between tire ID is just enough to be a total pain in the duck… considered some angled 3D print spacers for them to get shit center as well as possible, but that’s a bandaid, wish we could just get better tires

1 Like

Whatever the case is, I never hear bearings being mentioned as something that need to be taken a look at, or bearing seats…I think these are also things that cause/amplify wobble/vibration…here is an experiment take 4 MBS rockstar 2 plastic hubs and 4 random tires. Note how each one feels. Swap around the tires, and you’ll notice that the wobble doesn’t always follow the tires, sometimes it stays with the hub, then note the difference in how tight the bearing sits in the bearing seat, is it tight? Does it just fall In and out?

It’s almost as if each brand of tires, or maybe each tire factory, needs its own hub in my opinion

1 Like

It’s something unfortunate like that yeah, so close to a standard and yet so far away

You can balance wheels/tires directly on the axle, well only if you have free spin. Then add weight opposite the heavy side. Can use smalls weights, cut in half if you need to. Can even Velcro those in for quick adjustments. If the tire is not centered on the wheel you could use electrical tape, not ideal but works.

3 Likes

@ShutterShock

Found this video while looking through my phone, it’s a bit older, but same sort of thing. Finality 14s 190kv motors…look at how balanced those tires look… I didn’t even bother to take the stickers off, much less do any balancing work :rofl:

6 Likes

Weird, maybe the finality hubs are just the perfect size to center Kenda tires

1 Like

Could be. I’m going to try a few more tires on that 100mph set up this weekend. Urban treads, metro 155s, lacroix 7” and CST8” let’s see if we can get to the bottom of this

9 Likes

Are you planning on using some type of binding?

1 Like

Maybe front. Lol maybe a backpack parachute to emergency breaks :rofl:

4 Likes

13 Likes