SKP 6485 Modors…V6 preorder 🧲 (Shipped)

I would prefer these motors last longer than 3 days lol. Already have the cutoff set to 100*c. The motor amps are also set to 100 and with how much time the throttle is wide open I don’t think any amount of cooling could save me, just a matter of finding what can delay the inevitable the longest.

1 Like

Got any log files showing your consumption? Have you tried a 3d printed turbine to force more air through your motors?

2 Likes

No, I’m on android and I don’t have a metr so no logging apps I am aware of, I have an I phone that I will take with me tomorrow and run a “yours truly” log. I have not even heard of a turbine, I have a 3d printer but only PLA and that melts in the sun so I don’t think attaching anything it makes to the space heaters on the back of my board would go too well

Your motors be overheating eh? This is the 16s build yeah?

1 Like

Yeah, way better than the Maytechs that you replaced, but I can get them to 90 in about 8-10 mins :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You can use PETG or ABS to make a fan. They do make a decent difference.

Edit: here is a good read on cooling fans. The 80100 was popular for diy ebikes way back in the day, and they had some problems keeping it cool when running continuous power through them.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44287

3 Likes

Dang, a 23* Δ over ambient difference is way more than I was expecting for something like that. I cant find any stls for a reacher or something with the vents only along the outer face of the can and a smooth top but I’ll keep looking. Thanks!

I dont think I’ve ever posted the rest of the specs of this board but its a 16s board with a stormcore and the 173kv skp v5s and a 3ds GD, I dont know what one exactly but I think the ratio is pretty high on some 8" kendas, I figured this would be optimal for the type of riding I do (30mph cruising) but my ambient may just be to high for how much energy is going through a motor this size

1 Like

I have a board geared for about 40 on a full charge and I spend a lot of time cruising at 30. Motors usually don’t see more than 65-70C.

If I geared it for 50 I’d need so much more current for take offs that I’m sure I’d be overheating the motors.

Reducing your gearing might make a big impact on temps

2 Likes

It’s geared for 53 currently, that’s a good idea, I’ll try dropping it to 40-something since I never go over that anyways. The only problem is I have no clue what I’m doing, last time I tried to change something skyart had to save me from my complete mechanical incompetence

1 Like

That particular GD is pretty old I think it’s 1:4 gearing but I can double Check and see if I can get you a smaller motor gear. Can you send me some pics of the gear casing?

1 Like

External or internal?

1 Like

External is good

I also wonder if lowering your motor KV would help. Maybe if we went to like 138kv @jaykup do you think this would help with the heating? Could also run less amps to get similar amounts of torque

1 Like

2 Likes

You may recognize the work bench

1 Like

Lol oh yeah and the carnage of someone installing the v ring incorrectly lol!

Send a pic of the back too

1 Like

1 Like

I found your problem :joy:

Your gearing is way too low (causing your top speed to be high) which leaves you with no torque at the speeds you want to ride. Do you need a 53mph top speed? If not, I strongly recommend a higher gear ratio (causing a lower top speed) for more torque.

It would definitely help, although (in my opinion) changing his gearing would be better. Decreasing his kv means thinner windings, which means higher winding resistance, which means more heat per amp. You’ll get more torque per amp too, but changing your ratio to get a more reasonable top speed using a higher kv (and lower resistance) motor is going to be more beneficial.

This issue with that strategy is that we kinda run out of room to increase our ratios on esk8s, because we would end up with gears/pullies the size of our wheels :joy: so most HV builds just opt for a lower kv motor.

6 Likes

Yeah I think if you left the gearing at a 4.00 gear ratio and went with a 138 (42mph) it would help with temps, or maybe a 151kv at 4.50 gearing

3 Likes

So these would be better?

1 Like