Show Me Your Heat-Sink'd Enclosures

20 Likes

How are you (and the others) sealing around the fins on the heatsink?

1 Like

My heat sink has a big lip that the screws screw into, I just slap some black rtv silicone on the enclosure and a little on the heat sink. Once it is in place, I’ll run a bead around the edge and smooth it with my finger.

5 Likes

Sorry I spaced on this! Here it is: Heatsink Cover Plate by MauveMaverick - Thingiverse

1 Like

3dservisas was out of OG focbox heatsinks at the time, so I made my own.

And this one has been keeping my flipsky 6.6 cool on my emtb since early 2019 :metal:

20 Likes

Have you own cnc?

1 Like

RIP #Choovid19

13 Likes

Do you guys use regular CPU thermal compound for these?

2 Likes

Yep or thermal sticky pads. Not looking at max performance of a cpu just to dump the heat some were so it’s more than a larger thermal mass inside a encloser. No need to get any thing pricy

Trampa use a small thermal pad from mosfets to the case you have over 10 times the contact space from the case to your heatsink

3d services used pads on OG Focbox heatsink, past on unity heatsink

1 Like

Thermal paste is significantly more thermally conductive than the pads, but the pads are much more convenient to use. I’d use pads because they’ll also help absorb vibrations and help keep everything in place, but if the heatsink isn’t being effective enough because of that conductivity bottleneck then paste would be required.

My old build heatsink

8 Likes

Mostly thermal pads are used because of insulation, as for e.g. focbox/vesc mosfet package is either positive/negative terminal so u want to prevent all of them shorting

3 Likes

Ah I was thinking someone would use the small existing heatsinks on a vesc and make it larger by combining that with an external heatsink. I forgot that most people just go directly from mosfets to external.

Yes if used heatsink on heatsink then either cleaned surface to surface or u can use some thermal paste for better contact.

2 Likes

17 Likes

I needed to drop the escs through the enclosure to fit them in with the heatsink attached, but this 3d print I made was a poor design, executed poorly.

It failed after roughly 500km and now looks like this

#tapegang

10 Likes
5 Likes

The old 6.6 flipsky, can remove the heatsink, and reattach, to sandwich the enclosure. You cut a hole big enough for the mosfets. slap some seal goop. Works a treat, EXCEPT, that I live in the dessert. The asphalt gets scorching and heats it up.

13 Likes

28 Likes