Should I buy an Electric Unicycle - EUC?

So, do you have your Vesc Onewheel yet?

Do u have an euc? I think if you did you’d find that this is not the case. Learning without suspension teaches you better control in bad scenarios like potholes. Over reliance on the suspension, especially on something known to be a pogo stick, can get you seriously hurt. If you let the suspension take the entire impact it’ll rebound very aggressively and throw you off.

2 Likes

I’m all for learning the correct technique and not overly relying on equipment to handle it, but wouldn’t there also be a correct way to handle those same situations on a suspension wheel? Having suspension doesn’t mean just plowing forward and assuming the wheel will eat it all up, but rather learning how to handle those situations on the wheel you’re riding

3 Likes

My perspective coming from a onewheel, and then to EUC‘s (thousands of miles on both), I’m in the camp of suggesting you buy what you ultimately want. Sure, you can develop bad habits by starting on a suspension wheel, but you can lock down the suspension to be either very stiff, or in some cases nonexistent, during the learning phase. I’ve known very few people who were happy they bought a small wheel and had to deal with selling it a couple of weeks later.

We do a lot of big group rides near me, and we have a wide range of es8s, e-bikes, EUC’s, and onewheels, and I can tell you from experience that the number of injuries I have seen on EUCs are minimal. Of course, anything can go wrong with technology, and the stakes are pretty high with a one-wheeled device, but the newer generations are building in more redundancies and keep making them safer and safer.

The current batch of wheels are getting a bit ridiculous in their weight and size (and price), but there are some amazing wheels out there now. The v11 is a solid wheel last-generation wheel. I put 5k+ miles on mine with no major incidents. The suspension rods are not particularly well made though, and you do have to refill them fairly frequently. I’m currently on a Sherman-S, which is just phenomenal, but it’s definitely pricey.

Despite the cost savings on Amazon, I would highly recommend you buy from a reputable distributor. The manufacturers can be stupid slow in dealing with support requests, and it’s well worth the extra price to buy from somebody like ewheels or alienrides. If you have any other questions,

I’m happy to discuss further. Good luck.

4 Likes

Thanks for your input dude.

Can you tell me more about the vibe of the ride?

And my attraction to Amazon is specifically for the service.
Since it’s on prime I have 30 days to decide if I love it or hate it.
If it craps out in 30 days I get a new one fast.

But also likely have recourse after.
The local dude here that had one it died after 2 months.
He could not get good responses from Inmotion.

He called Amazon and they sent out a new one…

If I don’t go Amazon I understand Alien rides has great service. not sure they have the V11 right now…

Asking for a Sherman S would definitely get me kicked out… Lol

1 Like

Buy from a distributor for this reason. They will generally take care of you. Esp. alienrides. Think of the euc companies like oems. They don’t give a fuck about the end user. They just sell to distributors.

1 Like

Negotiations with the wife are not going well.

She pointed out again today that I am insane…

And even took pictures of the garage to show me.

So yep…

2 Likes

Time for another contract promising a trip somewhere she wants to go :grin:

4 Likes

+1 for this. A small wheel might make the first hour easier, but after that it doesn’t matter.

My first wheel (and my only wheel) is 77 pounds (King Song S22). The weight was less of an issue than the height - during the first hour I was hopping off and stepping back on so frequently that my legs were getting tired of all the up and down. :slight_smile: But once I was able to steer it where I want to go, I stopped having to get off it so frequently, and then the weight and height no longer mattered. It’s all about finesse.

Riding twisty/rooty singletrack is a bit of a workout, but that might have more to do with my lack of experience than anything else. I know a guy who weighs 3/4 what I do, has way more EUC experience, rides off road more than I do, and he’s really happy with his S22.

The V11 should be no problem as a first wheel.

1 Like

My wife knows I’ll sell something if I buy something new.

S22 is a good overall wheel. I changed the shock and it rides amazing now.

2 Likes

It looks like the S22 would be a good thousand bucks more than the V11…

Looks sweet though…

I mess around at charge breaks on buddies wheels, s22 and shermans are my fave. Master pros/v13s are just fucking massive. Mten4 is fun, but more of a toy.
I have seen more issues locally with s22s, but the good distributors take care of folks well. Iirc, ewheels/AR have the best CS.

To start, a used v11/s18 would be a good cheap way to get into it.
Local has a v11 up for 900$, but has a potential buyer lined up.

2 Likes

Your(you are) screwed, you cannot display your goods like that, must keep them separated to make it tough to know how many you have.

Blaming the kids for needing something else works well…like but bobby would be crushed if I wasn’t able to skate with him, and a UNI would make it easier to see him.

Oh and mothers day is coming up, make this one count…and at the first sign of giving in, place the order, you can always return if served divorce papers.

Just my advice, get er done killer.

2 Likes

:rofl:

Hope the wives don’t read the forum

1 Like

This would be pretty tricky for me…

1 Like

rent storage, don’t be so organized, do you have a shed?

I have accidentally had an extra car at one point…and made it through with minimal visits to the confessional for small lies, and misleading statements.

I might offer consulting or storage for a few boards if interested.

3 Likes

Vibe on the ride is … well, I love it. There is the skiing analogy you see quite a bit, but on the bigger wheels, honestly, the cornering has a motorbike kind of feel (dipping your knee on turns, etc.) , but there is a carving component that is reminiscient of skiing - though it is not required really. Also, micro-movements have big results and there is very little terrain you can’t just eat up without thinking about it.

As somone who ALWAYS prefers to buy on Amazon, this is one area where I absolutely will not. Jason at EWheels has provided top-notch support for the 5 wheels I have bought over the last few years, and there are things that you might need help with or replaced that is separate from replacing the whole wheel. They also will lobby the manufacturer to get what they need to fix your stuff if they can’t do it themselves (which is rare). The fact is, these manufacturers cut corner sometimes and release wheels without thorough testing, and so you want an advocate to get things done that you need. They actually set up a WhatsApp chat with InMotion for me that allowed them to do a remote connection and diagnosis. So, just my 2 cents.

I’ve also heard good things about Alienrides, and have ordered a couple of things from them in the past and had a good experience. Also they have the best videos of group rides. I don’t think I can link, but search youtube for " Largest Ever Electric Music Video | Westwheel 4" – some great footage in there.

1 Like

Not worth it unless you plan to take long rides, IMO. The S22 is 77 pounds and most of that is battery. It’s 2200 kwh, 30s4p. (The EUC industry is kind of obsessed with high voltage.)

Most of my rides are about 20 miles and it’s always had more than 50% battery left.

The King Song S18 is worth a look - I’ve been toying with the idea of swapping out my S22 for an S18 with the Molicel upgrade.

2 Likes

yup. I have a battery modded Gotway Nikola, one of the later models before they stopped making them. It’s reliable but not much to look at. I’ve had it a few years now. Bluetooth is dead.

2 Likes

Well.
So those dudes came over and I got to try wheels…

These things are so fucking weird.
And so fucking hard to ride dude!!!

I really don’t know what to make of it…

I am not like immediately in love, but I am also super intrigued…

PEVS are such neat gadgets…

I am not sure what I expected. But I didn’t expect them to be so weird.

Mathew has the Inmotion V8F and he let me ride that a ton…

And Nathaniel had the V11 and let me ride that a little bit.

I did get the hang of it on the V8F before moving to the V11.

20230511_173549_1
20230511_173549_2

So freaking weird dude.

So touchy.

But once I figured out the balance was by pushing my feet down I kinda managed to keep going.

The V11 is way bigger. But in a way that seemed nice.
I might have had an easier time turning around on it.

20230511_174039_1

20230511_174039_2

I even rode the V8F on dirt and gravel for a tiny bit and didn’t die.
20230511_183445_1
20230511_183445_2

When I was first trying it was super physically taxing.

I am probably going to hate myself the next couple days.

But nonetheless. It was cool. Stoked to actually get to try them.

6 Likes