Should I buy an Electric Unicycle - EUC?

If you’re able to ride those shortboards right now, you’ll be perfectly fine without suspension. Upgrade down the line, but I’d highly suggest not handicapping your abilities by starting with suspension

3 Likes

You can’t lock the suspension on the V11 can you?

just make your esk8 more powerful.

balance PEVs suck because they all have super deadly failure modes

Nope. Even if you could, the ride height would be insanely high and unusable.

2 Likes

Not hard to learn the basics imo at all, especially coming from a esk8 and onewheel background.

I found it kinda boring personally especially without suspension.

I’ve owned two, sold two, love boards more but in your instance I do think it would be a good move. It’s much much easier on your body simply because of the size of the wheel/tire and even more so with suspension. Go straight to suspension imo.

V11 is a great street suspension wheel from what I understand, not amazing for off road but do your research on that.

I learned on a 18XL, about an hour and I could ride more or less. Had it for a few months and I just didn’t love it, so I sold it and bought the BKB that put me down the eskate path.

Then after moving to arizona and becoming friends with all the EUC riders here I decided to jump on a S18. Suspension makes them so much more fun.

If I commuted or liked offroad (and had more time to ride offroad) I’d probably have one. I decided to just focus and dedicate all my riding time to improving my skating so out the door it went as well.

EUC world is 99.9% off the shelf import stuff, with people constantly after the next greatest wheel. So the used market is chock full of people upgrading. New things like the “god-mod” make them even safer (capacitors to help with any sort of voltage sag).

I hope you feel better brother.

2 Likes

Here’s when I learned to ride one.

1 Like

I would say if you want a big one don’t bother starting with a small one.
My local EUC shop lets you try them out at a nearby park on Sundays so I went to check it out.
I took one of the bigger loaners (which admittedly was still smaller end of the range) and yeah, it was probably harder to get started than with a lighter one and I was super sweaty from trying to muscle it around and stay upright…
…but after one hour I was tooling around pretty good.
If I’d had one more hour I would have been pretty comfortable.
Suppose I’d been learning on an even bigger one and it took me a whole day to get comfortable with it… what’s one day really?
So in the end I wouldn’t bother starting with a “training wheel” that’s easier to learn on cause it’s frankly not that hard in the first place.

2 Likes

Sorry to break it to you, but godmod is a scam and is run on hype marketing. The capacitance does fuckall for the large current draw of a pev in general. It’s just smoothing out the voltage more. The escs already have big ass capacitors to do this.

3 Likes

So this is a question that is probably too out there.

I wonder if I would get into the ride feel of these as much as I got into the ride feel of the Onewheels…

I sure love those things…

I got into EUC for legal reasons (they’re more likely to be certified for road use here in Spain and I wanted to chose mine before the regulations change in 2024) and it’s fun and practical. It doesn’t replace esk8 for me, the stance and riding characteristics are just wildly different. However, it has its uses (both practical and recreational) and since I only own a MTB, things like walking the wheel through a supermarket is just WAY more comfortable.

I second what @Evwan said, start on a smaller wheel and then sell it. My first wheel was an Inmotion v10F and is a nearly perfect commuter. I did also take it offroad, but even though I’m lightweight I damaged the rim a little (nothing I couldn’t fix). After that I got a Begode T4 V3 and while I do concede it comes very “naked” taking into consideration what you pay for it, it is a fucking offroad MONSTER. Range and power are amazing, the suspension is nice, batteries are reasonably protected (and it is very flat so you can 3D print a bunch of bumpers and stuff, nothing that should scare a esk8 DIY guy!) and I haven’t had a single issue with it.

There’s no such thing as too many PEVs

2 Likes

I use it to ‘walk’ the dog. I don’t like facing forward, I took 2-3 months to get so-so at it. its super reliable, no tinkering, locked down, pretty damn fast stock. It’s a thing I use frequently, its not a passion, its not a thing I think about after turning it off. its fun, but it isn’t my fix.

it exists as is. that’s probably okay, like my washing machine or blender and they do what the makers intended.

3 Likes

I admittedly don’t know a ton about it, only what I’ve heard through the euc friends I have. Very well could be as you’ve said.

1 Like

Thanks to Evan, I don’t have to type much.

But yes, I ride my S22 most of the time. But I did learn on the V12 first and the S22 helps tremendously with NYC roads. We are about the same age so I feel ya.

I still love riding boards but I’m now leaning towards thanes for the board feel. If i need pneumatics I’ll just ride the S22.

2 Likes

I can’t compare EUC to emtb as I’m only building my first board now, but I’ve been riding V10F, MSX and now Veteran Abrams and I’d say it started as a passion, but now it’s simply a nice, reliable and practical way of transport that I use all the time. Took me about 2 weeks to ride it without a problem in most conditions. If you’re looking for a bigger and stable wheel thats relatively cheap, check out Veteran Abrams, they had issues with cutting off due to hall sensors failing, but after firmware changes it no longer uses sensors for anything other than balancing in place so it is reliable and due to that it got a lot of bad rap so it’s possible to find it in a pretty attractive price range for a wheel of this size. The only thing it lacks imo is the suspension.

1 Like

This is the energy I am looking for here!!!

4 Likes

I told my wife last night that I now needed to get an EUC…

She off course said no, and that I was crazy, and that it is always something with me…

She did not however leave, or kick me out!!!

So yeah!!!

Montly pondering the V11 at the moment. I had gotten excited about the T4 but now am scared.

I am in a bit of an island here, so the concept of buying and selling used wheels is not realistic in my mind.

I am hoping to not do the same thing I did with the Onewheel and get the little one and immediately want the bigger one…

3 Likes

Keep this in mind too.
IMG_20230508_113013_794

2 Likes

I don’t see why there would be an issue learning on a wheel with suspension if you only plan on riding suspension wheels. Saying you need to learn on a “hard tail” (for lack of a better word) is kinda old school thinking like saying you need to learn how to drive a manual transmission, or ride thane-only street boards before using pneumatics, etc. If he isn’t planning on riding non-suspension wheels, then who cares if his riding habits aren’t super compatible with non-suspension wheels?

Get whatever you’ll be most comfortable on, that will go as fast as you need for as long as you need. The more PEV’s the better

4 Likes

I keep seeing PEVs and thinking PERV pervert. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For shorter people like me, a smaller wheel helps. I think you’ll be fine learning on a bigger suspension wheel. Not recommended, but you’ll survive.

1 Like