💩 Shitty DIY and nothing else!

Mboards introduces the all new: Rechargeable 18650 house/car fire starter, now made in the US!

1 Like

i don’t think a battery like this deservers a “in fairness”

3 Likes

Hahaha, love it!!!

1 Like

I’d say compared to the others posted in this thread, it may. There are some near-literal dumpster fires being built. At least that one wasn’t on fire yet. :innocent:

3 Likes

not diy battery, but DIY battery securement cause this pack to get road rash.

6 Likes

Looks like a state-of-the-art esk8 battery.

From 2016.     Much safer ways have been found since then. This is unsafe and not flexible, not even a tiny bit, and hasn’t good vibration resistance either. This would work great potted in epoxy and a hard enclosure on an ebike and limited to like 40A maximum… but probably not on any esk8.

7 Likes

It’s not that bad, no flex, the welds looks a bit weak but coming from Mboard I would expect worse

1 Like

There is no insulation between P-groups. If that battery flexes, the welds can pop off the end cells in each P-group.

4 Likes

Yeah, but we have seen worse from MBoards, so at least ones like this one on a stiff deck have a slightly lower chance of fire

2 Likes

There could be a rating system that uses :fire: to signal the probability of fire in an eskate context. Out of five, maybe?

That pack scores a :fire::fire::fire: I’d say.

For a very well built battery, one could use :handshake: Once it passes the acceptable threshold of safety.

10 Likes

I say we adopt this fine system.

13 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

and for the likes of “Sparky” we can add the ‘danger to home’ scale :joy:
:fire_engine: :fire_engine: :fire_engine: :fire_engine: :fire_engine:

9 Likes

its more like this :rofl:

:fire:
:houses: :fire_engine: :fire_engine: :fire_engine: :fire_engine:

6 Likes

Firstly I love this system, but I also think I have a beautiful example of a 4-5 :fire: pack sitting on a shelf here. When I get the balls to take it apart I’ll show you folks

So I’m building a new battery for someone’s Prototipo. They bought it, it showed up, and didn’t work properly. They reached out in the DIY NYC Eboarding chat and a few guys chimed in with things to check. After some back and forth, the person brought the board over, opened up, and I checked around with a meter. One of the groups was dead, reading 67 millivolts.

After talking about it, they opted not to only replace the dead P group, since he wasn’t thrilled with the condition of the battery build itself after looking at it.

Anyway, I’m making a new battery for it, and I’ll set it up and balance the wheels so it rides well enough.

Below is what I’m disassembling.

I rate it:
:fire::fire::fire:

9 Likes

Aaaaaaaa whyyyyyy

Those welds look like they’re barely holding on

4 Likes

I lifted the last of the groups out, and oddly enough, the series connecting folded nickel popped right off.

I’m lifting the rating to:

:fire::fire::fire::fire: :fire:/2

11 Likes

Poor 40T cells, they didn’t deserve such treatment

4 Likes

The new adaptive 3 wheel drive. If the load is to high it automatically deploys a third wheel for more traction. Only available on crappy mounts that don’t quite fit mbs trucks.

56 Likes

This literally made my day. I got an honest laugh out of it. Thanks for sharing!

7 Likes