Shhhh, don't tell swmbo | MBS Comp 95 | Cnc Motor Mount | HK 6374 Sk8 149KV | Turnigy 12000mAh Graphene | FocBox

I’d love to see your file. I work in Fusion, but don’t know what would be a good format to exchange in. Possibly step?

Sure, one min

1 Like

I used epoxy. It worked perfectly, and very easy to work with.

1 Like

Dual FocBox HS with fins.STEP (537.0 KB) Dual FocBox HS without fins.STEP (477.4 KB)

The version with fins is just with little side slots for another mounting option (drill hole to tap an M4 bolt)
The version without fins is just what you’d guess lol.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Today’s progress, first prototype od the vesc enclosure lid. Just for you I made it pink again :joy:.

It’s a tight fit, I need to move the Focbox’s a bit to the rear to get room for the xt60 connectors.

4 Likes

Fuck yeah bro, looking great! Nice chop! :ok_hand:

I just used 2k clear aerosol when I did the same deck, sprayed it on a rag and wiped it on, couple of coats.

Regarding the mounts, personally I would like to see a little more meat closer to the clamp, and some sort of cross bracing.

Keep it up bro!

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah, i had a talk with my cnc guy, he also recommended a bit more material, so we removed the cutouts. This is the version i’m having fabricated.

Why the cross bracing? I get that they look cool, and maybe ad a bit of protection to the motors, but i believe the stability of a single mount should be fine.

2 Likes

It helps hold everything together and reduces the impact that vibrations have on your setup. Also, if the worst should happen and your setup vibrates screws loose, it holds it all together somewhat so that you don’t have a catastrophic scenario :joy:

It can be as simple as just a couple of threaded rods with nuts or nice and detailed like @IDEA cross braces, but I think they are certainly worth the effort.

2 Likes

Cross braces are really important for reliability. You won’t be able to see it easily but on hard braking and acceleration the mounts flex the tiniest amount, this constant movement left and right will make bolts work their way loose eventually. Having both mounts connected cancels out the torque on them and will prevent your bolts from coming loose.

Also on the design of it, where it goes from the clamp portion to motor plate portion I would put a rib in the back side or some transition from the clamp to the plate. Anytime you go from a thick area to a thin area over a short distance it makes it much more prone to bending at that spot.

3 Likes

Ahh, makes sense.I’ll se how it works out. But version 2.0 of my mounts will definitely feature a little rib for stability. The current version should have enough clearance for a crossbar of some sort. Another thing to add to the list :joy:. Almost enjoying building and designing as much as riding :grin:.

Things are moving along slowly, i now have most of the stuff assembled. I got the batterybox mounted, and soldered the serial connection for the batteries.

I also got the vesc box mounted, and finished version 0.9 of the box lid, still in pom.

I went with nice cable glands, i considered either epoxying the cables for water proofing or just use some sort of rubber gland. But in the end i went with what i know works.

It’s a tight fit in the vesc box, but it closes, barely :joy:. Still waiting for threaded inserts to keep the lid closed, and 4mm bullet connectors to get the motors powered up.

3 Likes

Starting to look good! Carefull with those metal cable glands though, cover your phase wires in thick rubber or electrical tape in that part to make sure vibrations dont cut throught the insulation and short your leads.

Thanks, I’ll add an extra layer of heatshrink on the inside of the box, the outside is going to be protected by both heat shrink and some braided cable protection. The same stuff i used on the connection between battery and vesc box.

1 Like

I’ve finally had a bit of progress again. I got the lid cnc’ed in alu. It looks awesome! And received the 4mm bullet connectors and wiring from @Anubis. Now i can hopefully complete the vesc box assembly and mounting while i wait for the motor mounts to be machined. But it’s getting close to finished!

6 Likes

Loving the “SWMBO” logo. Looks awesome.

I really wish I had access to the machinery some of you guys have!
Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Yeah, so do i! I could have finished a lot sooner if i had just bought finished products. But i love the challenge of designing and manufacturing as well.

That’s what makes your project so epic and unique!

2 Likes

Just a little teaser for what’s in store later this week.

5 Likes

So the build is finally ready for testing :sunglasses::+1:. During final assembly I realized that my vesc enclosure was too small, so a new box had to be fabricated on the cnc. But really, the last few weeks has been all about the motor mounts.

The motor mount design changed a bit, I added tabs for a cross bar, and adjusted the shape just a bit. This is the final result.

Today has been all about getting all the wires done correctly, updating the focbox firmware, and slowly learning what is what in the vesc tool. If anybody has any tips for initial changes in the focbox setup I’m all ears. I only had time for a small trip around the block. But compared to my Evolve Gtr, it is insanely powerful :grin:. Mission accomplished.

6 Likes