Shhhh, don't tell swmbo | MBS Comp 95 | Cnc Motor Mount | HK 6374 Sk8 149KV | Turnigy 12000mAh Graphene | FocBox

Hi, to begin with just a short introduction, i’ve been lurking in this forum and the old one for a few years. Got my first Evolve Gtr last summer, and have since enjoyed a few rides with @Silverline, @dk-odense, @Kornum and the Stefans, they all ride either Trampa or Mbs boards, my Evolve felt horribly underpowered :scream:. So after our last ride, I promptly started to tell my girlfriend about the joys of mountain boarding, we agreed on a budget, which I after ordering 75% of the parts, have already exceeded. Hence the board name, Don’t tell swmbo.

So to the parts ordered.

The battery will be center mounted in a pelican style box. Should receive it later this week. For the focbox I am working on a rear mounted box. Thinking either 3d printed, or Cnc machined in pom. How much of a problem is heat with a Focbox? Could have the entire vesc box cnc machined in aluminum, but it introduces the chance of short circuits.

5 Likes

The heatsink on ESCs is usually negative, a aluminum heatsink is usually fine as long as you make damn sure none of the positive leads can touch it

Thanks, i think i will get the top and bottom plates on the VESC enclosure machined from aluminium, and the side either 3d printed or machined from pom. Still need to figure out how to get cable’s in and out, but keep it water tight.

1 Like

If you want to have water tight connections, either JB Weld in an extension with connectors on both ends permanently through the walls or buy a pack of cable glands and screw those in place

1 Like

I’m impatiently waiting for parts, got a Peli Case style box incoming for the battery, and 15/68t pulleys coming from @ElectricBoardSolutions. I got a bit of work done last night, mostly soldering xt60 connections for the charge setup, and worked a bit on the Vesc Box design. I decided to use cable glands.

1 Like

Yeah… Nice build… Looking forward

Another bit of progress made today, got the deck modified so it has enough clearance for the pulleys.

I really like the new shape! @MBS How do you recommend I treat the edges where i made the cuts?

I also received the motor and wheel pulleys from ElectricBoardSolutions.

1 Like

In before anyone tells you sensored motors weren’t necessary because HFI. Nice 1st build BTW.

2 Likes

Im not MBS, but I would recommend 2 part tabletop epoxy (or any clear 2 part epoxy you got on hand). I dont think it really matters that much. This is shaping up to be a nice build, im really interested to see what you do with your motor mounts, especially these;

In fact, I like these so much that I think you should make the finished mounts this shade of pink.

1 Like

This is looking like a nice build.

I used truck bed liner on mine. I think black edges make the deck look so much better.

7 Likes

Epoxy it is then :grin::+1:. Haven’t worked with that before, so another new thing to learn.

For motor mounts I’m starting with the simple one without idler. I think the prototype needs to be a bit longer to allow for full adjustment of the idler pulley, and I would really like to keep this as simple and compact as possible. Hopefully gonna get them cnc machined next week.

1 Like

Today’s progress, machined the bottom of the vesc box.

4 Likes

Looking good! What material did you decide on?

The box is machined out of pom. I haven’t decided on the box lid yet. I have 3 options

1. Just a lid out of pom.
  2. A pom lid with some cutouts for some custom alu cooling for the focboxes.
  3. A lid machined out of alu with some fins.

How hot do the focboxes get? If it needs cooling then option 3 is the way to go.

1 Like

Go for option 3, cooling is always good👌

Thanks, will do. More work for the cnc workshop :grinning:. How would i mount the focbox to the lid? Screws in the focbox cooling plate, or remove the focbox cooling plate, and use some sort of heat glue.

1 Like

I would just mount the focbox plates onto the heatsink. But you can also bolt the pcb on the heatsink with small standoffs and put a thermal pad on the FETS which in turn contacts the aluminium. Choosing the route with casing would be safer i guess, less chance of shorting stuff and its sturdier.

For example: @Skatardude10 bolted the neobox pcb’s directly to a dual focbox heatsink, you can also see the thermal pads. Maybe he can tell you what heatsink he uses.

And I believe @Longboardshort has a focbox heatsink laying around.

1 Like

Yeah, i agree. Best to keep it in the casing. I found this plate designed by @moon at some point. That’s the way i’ll go. Time to fire up Fusion 360 again :-D.

1 Like

Epoxy will well and truly seal it. Second in my opinion would be a few coats of a simple clear polyurethane. The build looks amazing btw.

1 Like

I’m happy to share my heat sink plate file I designed If you’d like, can do almost any format from solid works… I cnced mine as well.

2 Likes