SERIOUS - šŸ’” Trial run for "Serious" tags on new threads (Serious Replies Only)

They do, but rather than have it come out of nowhere, if a thread is marked SRO, a level of expectation has been set. Itā€™s also up to the collective people in the thread to police it as they see fit, which is no different than it is now in any other thread.

Think of it as a targeted study group that wants to stay on track to meet itā€™s information target.

1 Like

makes sense thanks for the clarification. if nothing else comes from this thread at a minimum we can all revel in the sentence

Which personally i had to read (3) times to fully appreciate and then was quickly saddened by the notion iā€™ll never be able recite such poetry in real life.

The ā€œin this cornerā€ section from my understanding allows for shitfests and taking things with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

@moon, how did you put other emojiā€™s as reaction. I only have the following ones available

2 Likes

@mishrasubhransu When damon rebooted they were all available for a minute like the emote menu

Please pay attention to the category the topic is placed, itā€™s important.

4 Likes

Could someone explain what a SRO tag does exactly? Iā€™m sorry Iā€™m new to this

Look, I like this bc I donā€™t have all Fucking day to read about who made each other cum the fastest. And when I am active, Iā€™ve usually been drinking.

I love boner banter as much as the next guy, but there are some important topics that are packed with not helpful comments and I say fuck it and comment on month old replies andā€¦ sometimes add to the mess. Then Iā€™m lost like your parents when u try to set up the router during thanksgiving.

If you make a topic like, ā€œ how to unfuck your broken hall sensorsā€, Iā€™d prefer not to learn about the state of boner affairs.

But the Barbara Streisand effect has been strong on this thread, I read every one of @Kellag hidden posts.

20 Likes

Serious responses only. You put it in your title if you want to discuss a topic you hold close to your heart and dont want anyone to derail it. Good example: I made a thread to get cnc services. Now, itā€™s a discussion about foreign languages. If i had wanted it to stay on the topic of cnc services, i would have put ā€œSROā€ in my title :slight_smile:
It allows for the OP to give out from the start his intentions about his thread

4 Likes

That is actually a very concise precis of what we want to achieve.

With the tag up there for all to see it is immediately apparent that your memes and banter are not welcome unless they are relevant to the topic at hand.

Treat those threads like you are in a public library.

You want an example? Go and shit post in the landwheel thread. I dare you. Those guys are serious.

Yes it will mean a bit more work for us but if it keeps the information clean then all is well and good.

13 Likes

All emojis were available at one point

1 Like

I think itā€™s a bit of a fine line between keeping the thread fun but informative and derailing the whole thing. I think the odd joke is fine, even good it keeps the vibe of the thread. Most problems Iā€™ve seen come from the thread being dragged into an argument over minutia.

3 Likes

Maybe your time but my reading time does not have to be full of dick jokes :wink: We are all different, it as to be taken into account.

Go play chess then !

2 Likes

Hey man cut me some slak

3 Likes

over-quoting is the death of conversation and completely autistic

2 Likes

All right, guys. Great first SRO example thread running thanks to ZachTetra:

So feel free to use or not use this. Adoption or obsolescence will tell the story more than voting or anything else. Thanks everyone for weighing in.

1 Like

And itā€™s a shameā€¦ An user-side moderation/filtering would be great/better because for a thread I didnā€™t start and if the OP hasnā€™t add the OSR, I would be fucked and will have to read all the shiposting in the middle of what could be useful and valuable informations.

We canā€™t have a forum per user but we should try to be more inclusive with minorities opinions (not sure about the wording, I mean "groups of people with differents state of mind or sense of humour. I read this in the ā€œWhat the Hellā€ thread :

But where were those promises announced ? I saw some ā€œcensorship freeā€ and ā€œwill never read your PMā€ promises about this forum but never saw shitposts/gif party/childish jokes in most of all thread promises.

Excuse my English, still a langage barrier on my side and Iā€™m sure some of my words wonā€™t be read as I think they would be. I know Iā€™m too serious but Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one on this forum.

1 Like

Itā€™s incumbent on each individual to not get too carried away with off-topic arguing, bullfighting, taunting and laff-posting or at least find the happy modicum. Of course there is no actual statement, donā€™t bother looking for it.
Any comment by the OGā€™s have been about not here to break up your bullshit, which I agree with. Sure we can implement controls/subject tags to indicate no BS, but really is this school? Is it work?

Suffice to say the older members by age and experienceā€¦in well all things, have to lead by example a bit more in this department.

Guilty here, all the same I enjoy banter but yes threads are getting completely derailed, content is getting buried, people are getting pseudo-bullied & meme quality is at an all-time low.

5 Likes

As in many things on forums, it wasnā€™t a big official announcement, but more a series of interactions in different threads that collectively told that story. We certainly werenā€™t interested in going from one guy who took himself too seriously to another.

The point being Bill can take a joke, but it has to be funny :joy:

1 Like