SERIOUS - šŸ’” Trial run for "Serious" tags on new threads (Serious Replies Only)

About to flag for the purposes of SRO, but Iā€™m cool with all forms of abuse directed my way.

1 Like

Fair enough Bill itā€™s not about SRO per se, I was about to flag myself

1 Like

The flip side to this, is that forums feel dry and boring when they are overly On-Topic enforced. In fact, Iā€™ve seen a number of forums never grow and develop their own organic community as a result.

Additionally, letā€™s not forget that ultimately this is a forum about electric Skateboards, which everyone except Brian does to have fun.

I think the forum should be fun. It should be a bit silly. What weā€™re doing and building is very fucking silly, and a lot of fun.

I think SRO tag is a pretty solid suggestion towards organizing discussions here without stomping on the cultural zeitgeist.

So no, dick jokes may not help you get your board tuned. But we generally have a good sense of humor, and laughing together is how communities are built. It should be fun, first and foremost.

14 Likes

can we change it to [Serious] (like reddit)
ā€œSROā€ can be a bit ambiguous?

9 Likes

If others like the idea, I donā€™t see why not.

2 Likes

That would be easier for people who havenā€™t read this thread to understand

5 Likes

With all the shitpost going around recently I think a serious topic is very needed around here. I also like the idea of [SERIOUS] instead of SRO, it would definitely make it easier for people who are only here to get help fixing their boards and not listen to our shitposting on each others threads. We are a community after all. Right?

7 Likes

Heck no, this is not Reddit. I rather prefer the ā€œLike when you like it or ignore / answer back / flagā€ actual layout.

Itā€™s more human this way and fuels for debate and exchange of infos. Iā€™ve never been turned down by a flag (helps me reflect sometimes even if I rarely get flags) but somehow dislikes make me want to stir shit up.

We need love and understanding, thatā€™s what brought me here, felt like a warm place at first.

By adding a judging system with dislikes, it would just crumble.

In summary, Iā€™m passionately against this idea for here.

And Iā€™m for the [SERIOUS] /[SRO] tag even if I doubt Iā€™ll be using it.

7 Likes

Reddit has multiple options for sorting comments. The default is ā€œBestā€ which sorts via # of upvotes, downvoted, and amount of time between post creation and comment creation.

Other options include:

• New; which should be pretty obvious
  • Top; which sorts by highest upvotes minus downvotes
  • Controversial; which sorts by most total votes and closest to a 50:50 downvote to upvote split

Discus sorts comments in linear order by creation date.

This ended up being a great change. Appreciated!

1 Like

@Vanarian, What you are saying makes sense, as long as people speak their mind. But itā€™s my observation(both personal and otherwise) that even when annoyed people donā€™t say anything to avoid confrontation.

Clicking a button can seem more non confrontational to the majority of people and, in my opinion, a good way to provide corrective feedback. If I am bothering someone I feel like people should have some way of indicating that if they donā€™t feel like engaging with me directly.

1 Like

I belive the addage ā€œif you donā€™t have anything nice to say, donā€™t say anything at allā€ applies.

I donā€™t need people to tell me if they dislike something. Say why in a comment, flag the post, or just donā€™t like it and move on. Donā€™t forget, you can see who likes things and would for dislikes too.

Personally, I would dwell on the one dislike over 50 likes on a photo :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I said that I wanted to know if I am in the wrong. While absolutely true, it was a sly way of saying that others should probably know when they are in the wrong.

And the value of any information is in numbers. Someone telling me I am wrong wouldnā€™t really change how I think, while 10 people saying that will surely make me think about my behavior.

I see people saying homophobic stuff again and again or calling someone autistic and no one says anything. Including me. But a button is easy to press to say I donā€™t approve. And enough people disapproving what they said letā€™s them think twice before saying it again.
@Venom121212, based on my last para, what do you think? How else do you minimize such behavior?

2 Likes

We live in the real world, not some fantasy world. Things have to be said, nice or not :slight_smile:

But letā€™s not forget that not liking (do not clicking on the like button) something is different of disliking it (pressing the dislike button). One makes you do an action, the other doesnā€™t.

2 Likes

The flag is also a one button click. Just voicing my opinion friend.

@slak

I see you skipped over this part. Again, a flag is taking action.

Real world or fantasy, do you not have the ability to choose your morals and actions? Pretty silly point to argue over :man_shrugging:

I called someone out the other day for using the word retarded and asked them if they would try and not use it in the future. Said person hasnā€™t used the word since.

Stand up. Speak out.

7 Likes

@Brenternet, I didnā€™t flag you btw.

3 Likes

Great idea OP

But the mods will still review all flags, so if this happens the flag will get cleared.

2 Likes