Selling mountain-board decks

Hello Guys. You may not remember me but my account name was
Ian-mountainboard on the old esk8 site. I had created a post claiming that I would be selling custom built mountainboard decks. For more info on the thread click here: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/trampa-style-deck/82599/23
I had stated that I wanted to give it some time so that I could test the durability. While here we are about one year later and I can’t see any issued with deck. It has been ridden in snow, mud, water for about a year while having 2 1" holes drilled near the center of the deck for wiring. I weigh 180lbs and 4ply held me pretty well while still flexing to absorb shocks. I will be selling The decks as a spare-time job near the end of Augst. I am a CO-OP student so I am not sure how much time I will have to work on this but I’m hoping to keep up with the demand. the decks will be $140 Canadian. The deck will be coated with a layer of urethane on it in order to protect the wood. I am willing to paint them for an extra $30 That probably sounds expensive but they will be painted with hardened paint similar to what’s in a car.

If interested Pm me

12 Likes

Do you have pictures? Found these, but do you have any of the finished product?

6 Likes

Yeah sorry about that

Sorry about the dirtiness the salt sort of stained my grip tape

6 Likes

3 Likes

nothing really about the deck… but to drop a thread… and then ghost people for a year isn’t a great start to asking money for a board

JMHO

5 Likes

If this is actually ian_mountaimboard then he is pretty legit, he told me in pm’s that he probably wouldn’t have a deck ready to sell for around a year if I ordered one since he was doing an extra year of high school or starting university (I forget)

5 Likes

Yep its me. I just started robotics engineering in September. Last year was kinda busy for me because of the transition from high school to college.

7 Likes

Interested in one. But when I start working again

2 Likes

Automotive paint might not be the best option.
After a while it starts to pop off due to impacts while riding plus flex of the deck.

6 Likes

I will take that into consideration. I added less hardener to my paint and it has held up verry well to scratches and the flexing of the deck

1 Like

Unless he took money from people and did not deliver, I see no problem.
As a matter of fact it shows that he actually put some miles on the deck before trying to sell it.

11 Likes

Are you willing to modify your mold to add some concave? How wide is the deck?

I’d personally prefer raw wood to be able to skin it in CF.

2 Likes

I can assure you that i haven’t accepted any orders. You are correct. I wanted to give it some time to test it because there would be many issues for me later on if the board started falling apart.

2 Likes

I will not be modifying the mold to add concave as i have tried this and the deck wasn’t as durable however i can make the deck just wood with no urethane and paint if you want

The deck is 10 inches wide.

4 Likes

Considering that this is a MTB deck you can be almost certain there will be some failures.
I hope your calculations have taken this into consideration.

2 Likes

where in Canada are you located?

1 Like

i’d go with water based paint or stain and spar urethane on a maple deck. Any maple deck.

paint gun or brush on, your choice.

How many ply are you using? My understanding is mountain boards should be bouncy, thus the lack of concave and addition of high levels of camber.

3 Likes

I am Located in Ontario

2 Likes

The decks are made from birch to allow for more flex without snapping, Right now i am using 4 ply and it absorbs most of the shocks.

2 Likes

had no idea birch was so flexy and tough. i know almost nothing about pressing mountain boards.

what glue do you use? I use Tightbond III exclusively.

2 Likes