Selling mountain-board decks

I have been using Tightbond 3 and had no issues. I like it because it has a higher bonding strength and it is waterproof.

2 Likes

it also has a longer working time so youā€™re not racing yourself and making mistakes while gluing, although doing only 4 layers of veneer instead of the 9 i do may allow you to use tightbond II but thereā€™s no real advantage to it. I think TB III is better glue anyway.

How long do you leave it in the press?

4 Likes

I Leave it in for 36 hours to ensure that all of the glue has fully cured. and all of the layers are dried.

3 Likes

24 hours works for me but set time is dependent on climate and even weather. Florida seems to be very deck-press friendly. Unlike where @jamie lives, he has to press inside with dehumidifiers and humidifiers and heaters and probably a bunch of other contraptions heā€™s worked up to make his pressings work out so well in the deck-pressing-hostile climate of his.

4 Likes

My shop is generally pretty good at keeping the same temperature and I havenā€™t seen it affect the cure time but who knows. guess thatā€™s another thing to watch out for when pressing.

3 Likes

24 hours would be adequate if I dident need to steam the plys so much. In order for me to get that angle each piece needs to be steamed so that they dont snap in the mold.

Do you steam your boards before pressing?

1 Like

hell no i donā€™t steam.

Allow me to blow your mind:

https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Super-Soft-2-Veneer-Softener-Conditioner.html

5 Likes

whoa, does that mean we can put an end to the destruction of Canadian maple? I hear birch sap makes a good wine as well.

2 Likes

is birch more eco-responsible or something? Canadian maple may as well be natureā€™s carbon-fiber. The abuse iā€™ve seen my decks take is the stuff of nightmares.

4 Likes

Birtch seemed to be more flexible to me which is why I thought it would be a good candidate for a mountain board.

2 Likes

no idea - according to bamboo skateboards (the brand), ā€œskateboard manufacturing is the leading cause of canadian maple destructionā€. Maybe itā€™s just their marketing ployā€¦ I still love canadian maple - no worries!

Cheers!

2 Likes

I dident even know that existed

1 Like

Chinese maple is basically just as good and iā€™m willing to bet the vast majority of mass produced generic decks are chinese maple.

5 Likes

eeeeeverything is chinoessss

3 Likes

bump ian have you sold any of your decks? any broken decks? have you found a safe and affordable way to mail these down to California? @Chief

1 Like

Well Iā€™m certain interested. You selling currently?

2 Likes

:ghost:

2 Likes

@Chief you selling?

3 Likes

@Chief
Howā€™s this project going? Still building decks?