*SCAM ALERT* neoBOX open source Focbox variant (HW 4 and HW6 Design)

What are the changes I’m curious?

Is this a VESC 6 or a Focbox derivative now?

Same, I was under the impression that VESC6 and 4 had completely different designs – different components, different traces to route, different PCB layout and size, etc. If Jeff made the jump from 4 to 6 this easily, I wonder why other vendors who make vesc4 based ESCs didn’t instantly jump to 6 as well.

1 Like

We keep some power stage but make change for vesc 6 design. My engineer review schematic for both and reverse engineer focbox. We decide for keeping some part and change other.

19 Likes

20191128_153751

18 Likes

Maybe they not have as many engineer as we having :slight_smile: but when we confirm design is ok after test I make ready for release file for license.

8 Likes

I am really looking forward to your projects, and if i had the money ill be buying those hubs instantly.

Call it the Foccase :rofl:

1 Like

Can calling 6box. Haha

23 Likes

I just want to say thank you!!! Honestly man, I really appreciate what you are doing here!

4 Likes

For small update we order component already needing for make sample and arrive tomorrow. We get pcb on Sunday to my Guangzhou factory and we start prepare for smt.

10 Likes

The FOC-box is a vesc6 “derivative”… or well, atleast the shape of the PCB. But they kept the 2 shunt design from v4. I’ve scratched my head many times about this. part from the DRV and extra shunt. The two HW verisions differ very little.

5 Likes

He Jeff, are we will on track for the 99 dollar price?

Lol I’m starting to worry, if Jeff makes us a top tier ESC eating the development costs and selling at break-even, it’s brilliant for us in the short run, but in the long run, will it suck all the air out of the room, and crush all other esc development in the medium to long term?

14 Likes

Shhh we want instant gratification

(Probably not though, someone else is going to want a more powerful controller eventually 🤷)

6 Likes

I’ll ask that he charge you double. But really, I don’t see that happening. People love Torqueboards for good reason, and will buy his vesc-compatible when it arrives, people will still want the ease of setup with the Unity, etc.

I think this will have the most impact on Flipsky, and given their failure rates, maybe that’s how it should be.

16 Likes

It’s the cost structure that’s making me thing. vesc, tb, unity, maker-x, flipsky, presumably next gen enertion, upcoming shaman, gamer43, blasto, deodand and who knows who else… they all need profit to survive.

On the low end, they can copy neojeff’s design with cheaper components making a crappier cheaped-out version to sell. On the high end, HW6 bom is expensive, with official VESC at $300 and bottom tier HW6 based escs being sold at around $100 for dubious quality. There’s not that much room for making enough profit to sustain a business.

In the medium to long term, I think tech will advance, and Jeff will probably move on to the next thing, and things will go back to normal…

Anyway, GREAT for us right now. :slight_smile:

I believe vesc-x came about when some form of the the vesc 5 schematic was released? Perhaps vesc5 design had the 2 shunt design? I’m talking out my ass again…

3 Likes

I think the components cost of the escapes where around 80£. So year at 120$ sale there is not much profit if the components are similar quality.
@jeffwuneo what kind of housing/heatsink you plan to use?
For the escape (vesc6 derivative) there was a dual heat sink case available, which was really really nice. Credits to @Luke for this great design :pray:

Maybe that would be possible?
Also think about facing the usb connection upwards. As min for me it was always a trouble on the focbox to connect from the side as there was never enough space in my enclosure.

12 Likes

One thing about the vesc6/escape design, it’s a bit tall, and all the ports are flush with the top, which can lead to a squeeze. Focbox is a bit nicer in that there’s a step down where the ports are.

+1 @Luke thanks for the design!

4 Likes

That would be an easy fix with the right top cover.

can I buy this :heart_eyes:

We make CNC heatsink case for small profile to keep all protect.

10 Likes