Savage1 TKP Trucks

Urethane? Or pneumy?

2 Likes

Since these are billet aluminum, you can get away with a thinner bushing floor than cast hangers that are rarely over .100" (2.5mm). With the bushing seat as designed here you can only use Cones, Barrels and our FatCones. If the depth of the boardside seat exceeds .100" (2.5mm) you will not be able to use the RipTide Chubby which is a very popular large shape that allows you to go soft and big for a very plush, stable ride!

10 Likes

Pneumatics. Switching between Trampa 165mm and Metroboard 155mm.

2 Likes

Cheers. Yeah, back during flexylgate it turned out that those on pneumys didn’t seem to have tthe bending issues, when urethane wheel setups did. I wonder if some shock absorbtion of pneumys reduces max loads seen by axles and hangers.

Saying all that, bending axles is not super common…?

2 Likes

The best i could come up with is that the axles don’t go into the surfrodz as far as they do into the BN hangers

@Savage1 if you reckon it’s up to task, that’s good enough for me!

2 Likes

Take a look at a bike pedal screwed into a crank set and you can tell how much is needed. PVD did axles like this and with zero failures

7 Likes

Wish my board had 170mm travel of fox 36s like my bike :joy:

4 Likes

agreed, plus that and in combination with the shock load on urethane and full rider weight on it. Probably wouldn’t happen on pneumatics

1 Like

Yup, as I said, I’m not well versed on the science/design, i’m just good at breaking shit :grin:

3 Likes

Etoxx :eyes:

1 Like

Yep. That flange, (in our purposes for tightening to the hanger) is the key!!! A short shoulder on the axel extending into the hangers is beneficial for alignment into the hanger, provided that the axel has a shoulder to seat against to. But that really only matters if both axel bores are coaxial with each other. (my guess would be not many are that accurate)

14 Likes

Don’t want to brown on anybody’s oatmeal, but hangers with axels that don’t have a flange tightening to the hanger are,…not as good as they could be.

15 Likes

There seems to be a misunderstanding that the longer the axle is, the more bending moment there is on it.

That’s not true, only that it’s possible for there to be.

A longer axle can be used in all the same ways a short one can be, but then there are simply additional ways they can be used that may be more prone to bending. But you can still use them as shorter axles if you want, with a spacer under the nut. A longer axle gives you all the same things a short one does. A short axle does not give you all the same things a long one does.

I’d err on the side of too long.

Used bearing inner races work fantastic as cheap spacers.

10 Likes

Brad has some really good ideas.

In general, the more compatible it is with existing components, better unless the compromise it too great. 22mm used by Moon and 3D Sevisas would be a great place to start. May a slightly smaller19mm hanger for Boardnamics as an option. The two different options will allow for the use of gear drive systems which seem to becoming increasingly popular. Split angle front and rear will allow for some added stability and a longer Riptide bushing in the board side position will allow for some more movement and maneuverability. Maybe start out with one hanger length and offer slightly longer/shorter in the future. Additionally, replacable axles would be cool to. This will allow for shorter/longer axles to allow for the perfect fit/set-up.

3 Likes

What hanger length do you guys like for TKPs???

2 Likes

170mm hanger is working really nicely for me atm

5 Likes

I agree, if anyone wanted to make a change in thane wheel design and lets us use 14mm bearing spacing. I would be down.

4 Likes

I think 3ds have moved away from this profile.
It’s the profile we use on the Apex Airs though.

7 Likes

Agreed- in my case, using 10-8 stepped axles limited the flexibility to widen or narrow the used axle length. I did use spacers to support the inner race. Full 10mm axles seemed to be the best solution- even though they were the same width as the stepped axles.

2 Likes

Small update…
After a little consulting with Brad regarding bushings, bushing seats, etc. , I’m now making 5 sets for testing. I currently have 3 testers, maybe another one in the states would good!
The ends of the hangers can be whatever…(22mm square, 19.5 square, I can machine them as needed). This current design is using a 250mm long hanger, but I’m thinking about either a 200-220 long option as well.

Started the bases, up next, the hangers

30 Likes