Savage1 TKP Trucks

I think you should make these compatible with Boardnamics 10mm extended axles. Maker X made the mistake of short axles on his TKP’s which limits it to few wheel options. 10mm extended axles are the way. These trucks look :fire::fire: though.

6 Likes

Also all Surf-Rodz

that is 14.2mm/.56in of M6 thread.

oh shit you were talking about the 270 10mm axles…

I don’t think that is right

have no idea how to make a good end condition for this thread

STEP axle bn270 stock full 10mm.STEP (729.4 KB)
This should be what you need to use them.

5 Likes

+1, this is a must read for anyone designing new TKP trucks. It shows how good TKP trucks differ from the rest by having the pivot angle correct, and also explains how TKP trucks work; i.e. – why they can lean so much further than regular trucks.

2 Likes

Those look sweet man.

2 Likes

Thanks Brad! I’ll take whatever advice you can provide :smiley:
So, the pivot axis is at a 30 degree angle to king pin axis, not perpendicular.

11 Likes

That does look semi-perpendicular to the way it usually is oriented. They often point closer to “up”.

Typically the pivot is pressed into the cup, not rotating in it like a bearing.

3 Likes

???...

11 Likes

Love the one-piece design.
Those SR bushing seat bolts snapped and tried to kill me :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Interesting, maybe not then

I was thinking more of this.

3 Likes

@rosco @glyphiks
So, the axels that I make have a flange that tightens to the hanger face, which in turn distributes the load to the face of the hanger. I could make them 30mm long though.

These are the axels that I made for my RKP’s
36mm is a little overkill.
Axels will extend 54mm from the hanger, made from 17-4 SS. 10mm dia, and 10-8 stepped available.

16 Likes

Overkill is excellent. Trucks have histories of failing, especially due to cyclic fatigue.

9 Likes

Ok this is sweet I’m going to take a set your work is so nice and custom :yum: I’ll telegram you :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Still got make a few and test them

4 Likes

Sure, well my Boardnamics 10-8 step down axles on Surf Rodz 179mms bent on their first outing riding Abec 107s….

I’d say I ride fairly conservatively - and have never bent axles before.

I’ve since changed to 10mm axles and are solid so far. I’d consider using these trucks on 10mm axles only when on thane. 35mm of support inside the hanger for the axles is a good idea for sure. 20mm might not be enough?. 54mm long axles is also a good length to make sure there isn’t too much bending leverage on them

Am guessing the threaded hole for the axles is deeper than the thread on the axles- so the flange meets up flush on the hanger face- are any axle grub screw holes there too?

I had a real fun time getting my bent axles off when they were red loctited in… so using 243 only now

Also the hanger bushing seat looks a little restrictive compared to the Surf Rodz- is that fair to say?

Not a fan of 250mm long hangers- 170mm to 200mm world be nice. Overall though I’m really sold on the one-piece design- looks great!

6 Likes

Funny what a dick comment was made at the bottom of the article.

5 Likes

OK, cool! I could not tell by the previous picture

2 Likes

Breaking stuff sucks.
Esk8 loads are higher than analog skate loads.
If you’re going to custom make something, I think you try to should make it so it is super durable and it won’t break. Al knows about breaking stuff, almost as much as poast :joy:

What’s the downside of a longer length for axle embedment? Weight? I’d suggest that any small weight increase, in favour of increased strength or durability is worth it.

Batteries are heavy. Trucks really aren’t.
(Shit -I bought a set of STEEL BN270 hangers when I saw one available)

4 Likes

@Savage1 can you provide a cross section of the bushing seat?

3 Likes

I’m sure dimensions would help

4 Likes

Ugh, that’s weird. I’ve literary done thousands km on them on two different boards and haven’t noticed any bending at all.

3 Likes