Savage1 90 Degree Gear Drives.

I’ve been very interested in 90 degree drives once I saw @Linny post his awesome build using a set that are apparently not available anymore. About a year ago, I mocked up a very basic spiral bevel gear setup to test on the bench. Results were promising, but I left it at that. I have since revived that project, and will be making a few sets for testing as I feel comfortable with the latest design For now, it will be a 2:1 gear ratio, with a kegal adapter to fit mad 105mm wheels.

Much more coming on this project,
(The motor mount interface is not completed in this pic)

42 Likes

Hell. Yes. :raised_hands:t2:

3 Likes

Yes! It’s happening!

2 Likes

Send a set to @rafaelinmissouri for some thane wheel testing

6 Likes

How viable is it to increase the gearing ratio? If you’re limited on space for the wheel gear, what about a dual stage reduction? 2:1 is okay, but if you’re wanting to run crazy large motors for power, the ability to run some truly crazy reductions would be awesome haha.

2 Likes

This is awesome! How large is the casing? What are the smallest wheels you can feasibly run? :eyes:

4 Likes

2.0 is perfect for 100mm wheels.
I ran 2.2 on mads for quite a while, the extra few mph will be welcome. 2.2 capped at about 42mph.
Clearance on bn street drives were not great…

This was a new drivetrain/motors 1600mi old. Delammed a few wheels and snapped a hanger along the way. Both motors about shot by the end.

Keen to see what the clearances will be.

Exciting stuff Phil!

10 Likes

2.2 works yes, but a higher reduction would let us run higher kv motors, and push more amps - more performance if you want it. Why not make a secondary reduction stage that can be removed from the 90 degree drive, allowing you to either run it at 2.0 or add on a secondary stage to get more reduction?

2 Likes

Not saying its not a good idea(!), just saying its sufficient for the wheels hes designing them for.

Sounds expensive and more parts to break make ya street face.

5 Likes

Excited for these! Need to make a new thane build.

2 Likes

Watching!

3 Likes

2;1 is not my ideal ratio. I bough these gears off the shelf for another project, but needed to modify them for this purpose. I’m using them as a test bed for the overall design concept. If things go well, I will modify the ratios accordingly.

7 Likes

Watching! I think 2.7 to 3 is a good ratio personally. 190kv is the best motor choice, and it would allow for slightly higher voltage, if you were to go for 170kv

3 Likes

I want to put extremely long inrunners on this like right now

11 Likes

Your motors would be able to be longer than the hangers :rofl:

2 Likes

for wheels upwards of 100mm i totally agree with this ratio range

3 Likes

YEAAAAAA

4 Likes

I use this on 80mm wheels works well for me on 3P set ups in hilly short commute. watch them e bikes slow to a crawl as you fly up the hill

1 Like

I am 111% up for a set of these, whenever an over the Pond Shipment can be arranged.

Fantastic !

:checkered_flag::metal::checkered_flag:

3 Likes

Super looking forward to it! Throwing these on a set of 3 links would be amazing too.

2 Likes