Savage1 90 Degree Gear Drives.

Makes more sense to just have one gear easily swappable and the other one adjustable position

Yes, it sounds good, I agree. Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite work that way for many reasons.

2 Likes

For a 90 degree bevel you cant really make the motor pinion just slide out of the way for a different ratio - the interface between gears is really finicky and requires a perfect tolerance for each ratio you run, wouldnt be able to properly adjust the fitment along a single axis.

4 Likes

What if they were straight 90° and not angled? Would probably be as loud as typical straight cut gears I’d imagine but would it make it easier to adapt different gear sizes?

Maybe? I havent worked with bevel gears enough to know if that would be viable. The other issue is even if its theorhetically possible, would the required gear sizings be readily available already, or would they need to be made custom from scratch, increasing the cost.

2 Likes

Hypoid gears exist as well

Would allow you to move the motor cans off the axis of the bevel gear if space is ever a constraint.

Learned something new today.

2 Likes

We must recall, the main reason for these is to either use them with urethane, or use them on skinnier trucks. You can do what you want but 3 links is definitely not the target here, imo

2 Likes

Efficiency of hypoid gears is quite a bit lower than spiral bevel though

1 Like

90-95% vs “up to 99%” meh

Added gear ratios and torque :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Swapping gear ratios on bevel gears is not doable easily because both pinion and slave need to be cut towards eachothers size.

2 Likes

You just need to swap the pair and have associated spacers, not the worst

1 Like

There’s restrictions on the minimum size gear that will fit on the motor shaft and the maximum that will fit in the case. With out adding a lot of complexity I don’t think interchangeable gears is really an option with out making it mutch larger defeating the advantages of the 90deg compact size. It’s more a designing a 2nd model if you want a different gear ration.

My thoughts behind it is to allow for bigger motors. Morgan’s is starting to look real cramped.

I would be pretty concerned about the weight hanging off that far on a drive like this, but maybe if its designed well it would end up the same

1 Like

I was considering that, along with the rotational force the motors could give off. I’m not an engineer though, so I’ll listen to those who know better.

Going from a 63mm can to 80mm on paper doesn’t add much in Amps but in reality there’s a huge jump in useable power as the windings have a mutch lower resistance and don’t saturate magnets get a lot better and stays cooler longer due to space. Less leverage as that can be shorter

2 Likes