Safety gear recommendations?

I really like look of those Fox Titan Pro Elbows! def. going to try those.

1 Like

Yea dude they protect your upper arm in a slide. Super handy to have in a wipeout

cant go wrong with a classic fit

2 Likes

Those look really slick, do you have a pic wearing them? I’m looking to get arm and leg protection soon, wondering if I should get pads or just go for armor like these

1 Like

Plastic plates slide better than traditional pads. These are safer in high speed falls

2 Likes

Ah yes you with your dope sketch machine

They don’t look too big, that’s good. And yeah I know I was thinking more of the tsg downhill pads but I’m sure these are great too

1 Like

In light of the coming summer, and the fact that I’m a sweaty mf who is still hot in a summer moto jacket during the fall, any recommendations for really breathable summer moto jackets? I came across this and want to find all the other gems out there, bc this style doesn’t usually have slideworthy plastic on the pads: lookin at you, knox

1 Like

I’ve been wearing this

In Texas through some very cold days and now into some pretty warm 80F ish days. Soon it will be a sweltering disgusting 90-100F all summer, and i expect this jacket to do very well.

It was not nearly enough for a cold night - at any speed it felt like i wasn’t wearing anything at all. Which is why I bought it. And it’s been great since. Might fit the bill. Everything except the main padded areas is high airflow mesh.

I’ve also crashed (while in bindings)

• On the street at 30mph
  • On hard packed sand at 20mph
  • In the forest at 10-20mph

While wearing this and I’m pretty happy. It’s got some rips, but it 100% protected me where i needed it. Built in shoulder and elbow pads, but you have to provide your own spine pad fyi. Would buy again.

(Getting pretty fucking great at hitting the ground by now…)

1 Like

Anyone have any recommendations on hard elbow pads? My old skate pads didn’t hold in place last fall since the elastic’s shot, so I’m looking for some new ones. Problem is most of the MTB ones I see are soft shelled and designed to be worn under clothing, rather than slide on asphalt. The Fox Titan ones look ok, but I’ve read that they’re not really designed for asphalt and probably won’t hold up very well.

Tsg makes some solid stuff. I love mine.

Thanks, my only concern with the skate style pads is all my injuries have been below the typical coverage of the pad. The MTB/motorcycle pads come further down the forearm which I believe would be more protective.

I would suggest a motorcycle jacket with level 2 protection inserts.
It takes a lot less time to put on than individual pads.
You could also go for Motocross style body armor but IMO it is less practical for everyday use. (I have both)

2 Likes

Wouldn’t a jacket be too hot for the summer? My last two rides were in 35C weather, and I liked the flexibility that pads bring because I could put them on top of as many layers as I wanted.

There are a lot of summer jackets with great ventilation.
This is one of mine

I use this particular one for esk8 or riding my Surron all year long. If it is cold I wear a down jacket underneath it.

For riding my bike I have a more substantial summer jacket with almost as good ventilation.

I also have this for off road enduro riding but as it is skin tight it is more difficult to put on and take off not to mention that you look like RoboCop especially if you don’t wear a MX shirt over it.

3 Likes

I’ve got a mesh padded jacket I like a lot. Doesn’t get too hot in summer because of the zip out thermal liner and the pads stay right where they should.

1 Like

I had looked into that one, might be a move! Is the lack of sliding surfaces a downside? There’s been several instances in my regular skating where sliding on the knee pads and gloves prevented any injuries from stopping too quickly.

1 Like

I’m gonna recommend this again. Lightweight, comfortable, very breathable, well-padded plus slidey bits! I got mine for less than €200.

2 Likes

I feel that sliding love. I bought the matrix g form elbow pad sleeve things because of how light weight and sleek they looked.

Hell naw. Those things slide up my arm any time I crash them. Biggest booboo from carve was because it was so fudging hot out that I told myself those would be fine.

The jacket has been perfect at protecting my beautiful skin. I haven’t broken any skin while wearing it. No doubt a hard shell one will slide more though. I just look too much like a power ranger when I wear full hard pads.

3 Likes

Sounds like the answer is to buy the jacket and glue on some cutting board pieces where the arms are :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Have you come off with that on? Will it work on an ESK8?