Rubber Hub Wheel DIY for Backfire G2

Hello People,

new here, an oldie who really should not be on a board of any sort!. But am enjoying my Backfire G2 Black (now used by son) and playing with a Meepo V3 until my Tynee Off Road belt board comes in a couple of months.

Hopefully this is the right place for my question - if not please guide and I will try again. Thanks :slight_smile:

I have done loads of net research into wheel for comfort and safety - not a speed freak just like the pretending to be on a snowboard and scooting around town. My son in London uses the BF G2 to short commute to work It has 105 clouds on already which are ok. But I like the thought of these 115mm Rubber wheels from Onsra and am wanting to make some for the G2 as not possible to purchase anywhere that I can see.

So what do do? Here is my obvious idea -

Hoping for some thoughts, ideas, criticisms…
much appreciated

1 Like

Appreciating there will be changes to the range/speed/torque but happy to try this out if its feasable. Of course the simple answer is to spend more and get a Backfire X2 or go for a belt drive board but it seems to me that the manufacturers are missing a trick here ( or probably I am being totally stupid). Cheers

I think the biggest challenge here is to make sure that the hole you drill is actually centered. If it’s off by even a little bit you’re going to get a ton of vibration.

1 Like

Agree with you frankthedragon. I figured using the bearing hole size for the centering bit of the hole cutter bit and ensuring its all flat relative to bit angle etc. I have a friend who has a pillar bench drill so hopefully the hole will be centred all the way through. Anyway any tips/tricks to achieve this is appreciated.

1 Like

the outer diamater of the hub sleave is 70mm. This will leave 22.5mm of rubber around the hub sleave. I dont have any of these wheels and I am making this up as I go. I wonder if its enough rubber to maintain the integrity of the wheel. I also though about using those Eovan RS125s (thicker rubber ones) and cutting out the metal core, leaving just the rubber. Stupid idea??

I think a better route would be to cast diy rubber wheels around the hub sleeves.

For the price of those wheels and the work to cut them with the risk it goes wrong I see the money in a wheel mold much better spent.

2 Likes

I fail to see how all this is worth the 10mm more

Second this. I’ve seen people successfully cast their own sleeves; I have not seen anyone successfully cut them.

1 Like

Thanks Fosterqc. Not sure I understand how to mold rubber around the sleaves?
I thought about 3D printing the hub to fit inside the space of the RS125 rubber tires too. But again no idea if this would work against the cost and effort.

1 Like

I do see the worth of it. My airless rubber, besides the loss of range, are better than urethane in every way. I imagine that rubber hub sleeves, especially airless to allow compression, would be equally wonderful. But, I also ask if it would be a better plan to just work out some kind of fully metal 2 part sleeve so you can just run pneumatics.

Perhaps 3d print the rest of the tire hub so that it fits on like a sleeve, but fits 6x2’s?

Assuming you are going to lathe out the wheel and go through with this:

In order to mechanically lock and center the hub you would need to put rods into the outer ring of holes in the sides, this would reduce the good ride feel although saving tiny bit of range. Maybe you could use the smaller holes though, that makes more sense with a lot of screws.

can I ask how you found this brand? I’ve never heard of them before.

1 Like

They followed me on insta lol
https://www.instagram.com/tyneeboard/following/

Tynee is a great new budget brand, scott davies has reviewed a couple

Boosted type clone

How are their batteries

Average budget board as far as I know, good, but not amazing

I found Tynee after searching for a budget board with pnuematics - none exist. One thing led to another, Scott Davies reviews plus others and I settled on the Tynee off-road for GBP £530. Aiden has communicated with me loads, been super helpful and I heard on another review he started Meepo, left, then started Tynee. Seems legit brand but not yet had the board. Am looking to make my sons BF G2 more comfortable for rough London roads and having some technical and DIY ability joined you all on here for some guidance. The 115s/RS125s seem to be the best answer, the problem - how to fit them onto the G2 Hub motor. Cloudwheels only do a 105 not a 120 for the G2 but still the rubber wheel reviews seem to prove they are better than clouds. The BF rides very nice, smooth ESC etc and so dont need anything more in performance - just some cushy wheels!

1 Like

Hi Kai - dont understand what you mean by cast? Like 3D print? thanks

I really like that they don’t use DKP trucks.

1 Like

Personally I like dkp for certain things, but yeah haha that’s what I mean though - very similar to boosted

Their mini and ultra are basically boosted boards