RKP or TKP? What do you prefer?

I’m sure this discussion exists all over the forum but didn’t see a thread devoted to it. I’m curious as to what different riders prefer and why/for what application? RKP seems to make the most sense to me for stability and carving on longboards but I see a lot of folks really advocating for TKP. What do you prefer and why??

2 Likes

So far im my experience im going tkp.
Yes rkp is typically more stable but it can’t cut and carve as hard as tkp. And with the right setup I’ve gone just shy on 40mph on tkp with no wobbles…

5 Likes

Ahah! hell yeah, what TKP set up has ended up suiting you best in your trials and experience?

1 Like

Surfrodz tkp with a rear adjustable baseplate on a drop through deck. Super low center of gravity.

7 Likes

What other TKP options are there other than SR?

1 Like

Psychotiller…
Not alot of trucks options tkp or rkp unless you wanna custom make/mount motor mounts.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve got some hammocks on the way but they are only compatible with paris, tb218 and kahua. None of which make TKP that I’m aware of =(

Aren’t the adjustable bp pretty tall? I’ve bee looking at one but it looks awfully tall.

4 Likes

I’ve been riding an evolve (DKP) this summer, I like it much better than an RKP set up. My next build will be on TKP.

What kind of trucks do you have now?

1 Like

They are taller. But ive never build an esk8 without risers. Plus the added height is really great on drop through especially the extra thick hummie deck.

3 Likes

Used to be TKP in my early years, but when I started again nearly 30 years later, the trucks on my 121c Aileron were Randal RKP. Sweet ride, I just came off more than I could care for on our sub-standard sidewalks.

My first esk8 had DKP, and now I’m on channel trucks.

Funny. I prefer the rkp over the dkp. I constantly feel like the rear will whip out from behind me. I end up riding it like a snowboard.

Ahah that sounds way more fun

1 Like

TKP SR any day.

4 Likes

I cant go back to RKP, after riding both SR and Psychotiller TKP there really is no going back. The responsiveness of the TKPs is just so satisfying.

4 Likes

Cant say I’ve tried a good TKP set up but I absolutely hate evolve DKP it’s so squirly and feels like my board can wobble out on me if I loose concentration even for one second.

I love my TB218 trucks I got the Miur skate almost precision kit and honestly my board feels really responsive yet stable at any speed. I feel like I have it just right and any more responsiveness would be too much. That’s what’s keeping me from pulling the trigger on another truck set up. I do have SR RKP but I’m waiting on my drive train set up :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You ride fast, RKPs are more stable at speed. The sweet spot for TKPs is 20-25, over that you have to be careful about your foot placement it they can wobble, for bigger guys.

Those skinny crackers can ride a little faster on TKPs :grin:.

10 Likes

Yea although I havnt been riding too crazy lately. I still often ride 30+

My TB218 are awesome but I may be that I’m just used to me set up. I can easily carve around a pot hole or manhole cover at speed just takes a little bit of commitment and placing your body weight in the right areas.

1 Like

Who else gets really low and puts your arms out when going over questionable terrain? Lol

5 Likes

Yep. Cruising back from the bar tonight running 25-30. Big fat carves at speed. feels amazing., but straight line is a little different. Always needs to be turning.

Also, pneumatics are amazing.

4 Likes