RipTide Sports Pneumatic / Composite tire project

I think Cloudwheels are a Thermoplastic and not a Thermoset like most wheels. The treatment effect was minimal to the Cloudwheels (2 points)

6 Likes

Rats! That was me… ill find the message nd get ur email to send ya a return label. Had high hopes for the clouds since they had potential, i felt when i bought them, but that was a much greener time andi wasted way more than the cost of a set of clouwheels lol. Anyway, big ups to you brad @RipTideSports for your service, your passion, your expertice and altruism. One of the many heroes in this community i aspire to be half as decent as. Ill get back to ya stat, thanks for trying man. Will deffo post notes asap.

5 Likes

Perfect, thanks!

2 Likes

@RipTideSports I have another use case for your process, if you’re still accepting entries.

Rollerblading is difficult, if not hazardous, on wet pavement. You need to push sideways to go forwards (low leverage, basically), so the grip requirements are high. There’s a 5% grade hill on my way to work that I can barely climb in the wet, for example.

There are specific “rain wheels” you can buy which give some improvement, but they’re a ludicrous ~$25 per wheel at the cheapest, compared to the usual range of $7 ~ $12 per regular wheel, and so are mostly used by serious racing folk. Reason being that they’re dual poured, hard on the inside (for rolling resistance reasons) with a soft exterior. Sounds like your process could be a better way forward

Aside from subjective experience I can use Strava logs of my wet weather hill climbing performance to put some numbers on how much they improve grip.

12 Likes

Send them please, let’s see what happens!

3 Likes

Surface dropped from mid 80’s to 75a

9 Likes

Brad have you thought about doing the process twice?

1 Like

No I have not, what are you looking to accomplish?

Wondering if you could go even softer by doing it twice, or if there’s some limit.

Hot diggety that’s gonn grippp

4 Likes

this is an interesting idea, would running the wheels through a second time have any effect?

Probably not? Unless the solution gets saturated or the wheels are taken out early I doubt a second round would do much

2 Likes

RESULTS: I commuted to work as usual, and the increased grip of these wheels granted me even more power to bully all the car drivers off the road :muscle:

SURFACE HARDNESS:
85A → 75A (as reported by @RipTideSports )

PERCEIVED RIDE QUALITY:
No discernible change

REBOUND:
80~85% → ~75% (based on my very non-rigorous bounce test on concrete)

PERCIEVED ROLLING RESISTANCE:
No discernible change

WET ASPHALT GRIP:
Probably double. Subjectively I’d say the stock wheels were at 30-40% of normal grip in the wet, the treated wheels are probably more like 60-70%.

Strava Stuff

All these logs are of my trip to work on a morning where it had rained the previous night. The park’s big hill climb (4% grade) is shaded with trees, and takes a while to dry. All climbs were done hard enough that the skates were sliding out at the end of each push.

^^^Rollerblade Hydrogens (popular general purpose wheels): Grip has left the chat. This was basically waddling. 12kph was the limit on the incline.

^^^Bont High Rollers (basic level speed wheels): A little bit of bite, I could put down a little power. Wet grip was 30-40% of how these wheels usually are in the dry. These are the ones I sent in. Still traction limited to 15kph.

^^^Post treatment. Grip was a few dimes short of stock wheels in the dry, (I would say 60-70%) but I could push harder than I could sustain for the whole way up the hill. Not quite possible to sprint, but I’m impressed. Traction limited to 19kph.

DRY ASPHALT GRIP:
Easily +50% over stock. Power transfer at the end of a push is much better. Carving is ridonkulous. Slides feel slightly greasier instead of chalkier, transition is slightly more mellow. A lot more grip in the slides too, of course.

DURABILITY:
TBD

TASTE:
Pistachio → mint chocolate chip

CONCLUSION:
10/10 would gib monies

16 Likes

Well thank you, those are awesome results. Please keep us informed long term!

3 Likes

:+1: no prob bob, thanks for including me in the test

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

@RipTideSports have you experimented with treating bushings with this stuff?

4 Likes

Yes I have and the effect is similar but I have never found a need for a dual duro bushing

2 Likes

Does the process work on pneumatic tires?

I doubt it would but I bet it would make for some nice race slicks

2 Likes

You mean rubber?

The process is for urethanes

1 Like