RipTide Sports Pneumatic / Composite tire project

Getting a flat never ejected me on bergmeisters. In fact, I was able to go close to 50km/h with a flat one. It just gets really hot at that speed. (as hot as sealed maytechs huehuehue)

There’s no special magic there, they are nylon and not rubber.

5 Likes

8 flats in one week…

Not once was I ejected… you just here a noise and get a bad wobble. The hub was still absolutely fine after but i made sure to take it easy…

I also want to make clear Timo is taking care of me and it doesn’t stop me from using the bergs. Been having great rides at 60psi. Turns out Im a fat ass

11 Likes

Are you serious? Are you riding in a nail factory?

8 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. I just wore out a set in 300 miles, but didn’t have a single flat. I’m a Clydesdale, as well.

4 Likes

Very serious. Turns out 45-50psi was too low because im a heavier rider. Saw a post that recommended heavy riders use 60 psi and so far no flats

11 Likes

Nylon is the cord material used to hold the rubber structure of the tire together when inflated.

8 Likes

All I’ll say Is I’ve seen quite a few people go down on pneumatics from blown tries. When your going 30-40mph, it doesn’t take much to cause a spill.

I guess my point really is take an approach of maximum safety. Maybe I’m wrong for thinking pneumatics are dangerous. But I bet there’s a lot of people out there like me who are afraid of them and if you can create a SAFER tire with more safe guards in place, it is a great marketing opportunity.

We all know these wheels are not designed for electric skateboards. Some popular ones are literally wheel chair tires.

11 Likes

Some are, some aren’t. That hasn’t been the issue as some that are esk8 specific have issue and some that aren’t esk8 specific have zero issues.

The think to consider us what your doing in them and purchase appropriately. Clever 6x2s can go flat and not decompress. MBS, Razr and Metroboard tires perfect for MTB carvers, and at speed.

10 Likes

Mountain bikes have been using tubeless tires for a while, a lot of people seems to like those as well.

However, I don’t know much about the tubeless tires.

Is that something we can integrate into pneumatic tires for esk8 application? Just an idea…

6 Likes

Its been done. The soft thane wheels that a lot of people, including me, used on 6 shooters are good at low speeds but cold surfaces caused them to contract and spin on the hub. Also foam has been used, surprisingly effective but the lifetime is short before it looses elasticity.

7 Likes

Calling it now. Burris racing is the company they signed with. They’ve been making great onewheel tires and I assume want to continue the success of that market segment.

4 Likes

Jeez! You have a lot of patience. I would slap some clever 6" tires and ride for 1000s of miles before replacing them.

4 Likes

only tubes I’ve ever popped… Clever
jusss sayin’

5 Likes

I got a dickyho tire for an electric push stick, the tire feels pretty solid and I can’t get my bike pump on the valve stem so I think I will just not use the inner tube

2 Likes

Was it because the edges of the hole, where the valve comes out, were sharp? I spend 10mins smoothing the edges and it never gave me any trouble except that one time I had a nail go through the tire.

2 Likes

Brad, Kudos to you taking this on. Like most of said mbs is the main I have seen used.

Personally I think if you can recreate the sixshooters since they really are not available I think they would be gobbled up here.

3 Likes

Looking fwd to this. I hope Brad can convince them of it worthy to pursue.
Well built race tires rarely fail.

21 Likes

Now this I want to see!

5 Likes

This is important because those people probably shouldn’t have been going that fast. Regarding 6x2s. At those speeds, there’s a lot more than debris that can kill a tire. Heat generated by improper tire pressure, tube friction etc. To my knowledge, these tires were designed for scooters that have a max speed of 15-20 mph or less. Aliexpress tires designed for scooters were adopted by esk8 but we definitely push their capabilities.

Having said all that, safety is paramount. @RipTideSports, whether you go in the direction of street tire vs offroad would obviously be a factor. The emtb market has exploded and there are more and more 8" tire boards on the market. I cant speak much to that market. However, I think there is still a big desire for a 5-inch street tire or a quality 5.5-6 inch street tire.

Street pneumatics suffer most from efficiency and that’s with an already poor contact patch. A flatter contact patch than most 6x2 on the market would be a big benefit to lateral grip. 6x2 is also skinny narrow looking from on the board. The new 6x3s look cool, but suffer more efficiency loss.

The problem is the size of the hub. Going smaller in diameter reduces sidewall height a lot and the tubes get smaller and likely more fragile. Split hubs prevent pressurized tires but id love to see that, hubs will cost a lot. hopefully the tire company you’re working with has some creative ideas for this.

Honestly, an air-less tire would be ideal. Puncture proof, flat proof etc. We have a few on the market, but they’re crap quality with no real engineering behind them. With proper materials and a design team, maybe there’s something there. Needs to have better than 110 thane ride quality, minimal losses in efficiency over the thane and be stable and balanced upwards of 40mph while weighted… oh and be rain proof :smiley:

9 Likes

As far as outside diameter and width go, I think a poll for the riders on here would give the best market intel.

The inside diameter is the main thing that you need to get right in my opinion. Tire size standardization is terrible in my opinion. I wish there was one true standard but it’s all over the place, some metric some imperial. MBS, Trampa, and Evolve are all based on the 200x50 standard. 200 refers to the outer diam in mm (8"), and 50 is the overall width of the tire. The ID varies but ours is basically 94.2mm.

I’m happy to help with info regarding design and compatibility, but I agree with whoever said Evolve is the best brand to research in terms of volume.

Good luck!

22 Likes