RipTide Sports Pneumatic / Composite tire project

Thank you! It is now 8s - 3p

3 Likes

Never been on those so - no comparison I suppose

2 Likes

Wheels look great! And what’s the deal with those trucks? Experimoental V2 NKP moetotypes?

My personal version on the 3 link trucks…not for sale, just a DIY project for me to understand better how they work based on this research:

8 Likes

this is insane, my god.

8 Likes

I love how uniform the expansion is…

8 Likes

If that is a 150 mm wheel 66/11 80% should put you on 54mph ish

10 Likes

I wanted to expand a bit more on this question. Existing mass produced OR wheels are designed for pneumatics and to place a urethans sleeve like the Gummies on the wheel does not address the pneumatics’ ability to lock itself to the wheel allowing you to brake and accelerate without fear of the tire slipping or spinning on the wheel like Gummies can.

We have locked the tire to the wheel so that issue goes away so the application is very specific to a dedicated system. I have come up with a way (I think) to make a urethane tire that will use a tube just like a normal rubber tire and when the tube is inflated, lock itself to the wheel and may possibly allow low speed run flat capabilities so you can limp to a repair point. More on the pneumatic urethane tire soon.

23 Likes

Wild… That sounds really interesting…

6 Likes

Is it really necessary to reinvent the wheel (pun intended) for conventional hubs by developing a pneumatic urethane tire? I note that as the Van-K rims are metal, the bolts holding the rim together can be torqued down to compress the urethane tire with much more force than might be possible with a conventional plastic hub (e.g. MBS, Evolve & Trampa).

Would the speeds that these conventional plastic hubs reach in a real world use place sufficient stress on the urethane to tear itself out from those hubs’ bolts? The argument could be made that these conventional plastic hubs would not be spinning as fast as what was demonstrated in the video, at least in real world applications.

3 Likes

Moe Stooge enters the chat

10 Likes

Of course Moe would likely opt for the better performing Van-K hub variant - OR rubber.

Exciting stuff.

2 Likes

Mounted the assembled hub halves in the 4 jaw lathe chuck and side drilled into the 3/8 mount hole to allow for tube access

14 Likes

Urethane does not compress, it is like water and changes form in response to compression so using the hub halves to compress the urethane will force the material to move somewhere. With the shape of the hubs, it will force it away from the center possibly making the tire out of round.

7 Likes

OK, spent all weekend adapting the Van-K hub halves to the new Stooge Race boards hubs. Made a new axle for the front to match the rear width of 18" to the outside of the tires. Put some more turn into the front so it is now about a 40 degree front and a 5 to 10 degree rear.

17 Likes

Is it just me, or are these trucks different looking than standard 3-links? Maybe I’m just behind the times.

3 Likes

Just my DIY version of them

9 Likes

This is what happens when you tell Brad your trucks are the coolest on the block… he proves you wrong :joy:

8 Likes

Tail shot

19 Likes