RIP esk8. Remotes that won’t get interference

Who else is getting interference from these cell towers, 6 5g towers are being built next to my house and I need a remote that won’t kill me lol. Any ideas, no more remote and a thumb throttle like the bird scooters…

2 Likes

Euc scooter Onewheel

2 Likes

Hell no, over my dead body
I’m going back to pushing

12 Likes

Doesn’t 5G use the same lte spectrum?

Have you experienced interference often?

2 Likes

Wait till Hoyt comes back in stock next month, or use a nano

3 Likes

^block interference w/ carbon fiber faraday cage around receiver?

5g has a more powerful signal as it concentrates most of the emitted radiation into focused beams “aimed” at your device using phased arrays.

present, smartphones emit a maximum of about two watts, and usually operate at a power of less than a watt. That will still be true of 5G phones, however inside a 5G phone there may be 8 tiny arrays of 8 tiny antennas each, all working together to track the nearest cell tower and aim a narrowly focused beam at it. The FCC has recently adopted rules allowing the effective power of those beams to be as much as 20 watts. Now if a handheld smartphone sent a 20-watt beam through your body, it would far exceed the exposure limit set by the FCC. What the FCC is counting on is that there is going to be a metal shield between the display side of a 5G phone and the side with all the circuitry and antennas. That shield will be there to protect the circuitry from electronic interference that would otherwise be caused by the display and make the phone useless. But it will also function to keep most of the radiation from traveling directly into your head or body, and therefore the FCC is allowing 5G phones to come to market that will have an effective radiated power that is ten times as high as for 4G phones.

“But just as with PAVE PAWS, arrays containing such large numbers of antennas will be able to channel the energy into highly focused beams, and the effective radiated power will be enormous. The rules adopted by the FCC allow a 5G base station operating in the millimeter range to emit an effective radiated power of up to 30,000 watts per 100 MHz of spectrum. And when you consider that some of the frequency bands the FCC has made available will allow telecom companies to buy up to 3 GHz of contiguous spectrum at auction, they will legally be allowed to emit an effective radiated power of up to 900,000 watts if they own that much spectrum. The base stations emitting power like that will be located on the sidewalk. They will be small rectangular structures mounted on top of utility poles.”

5 Likes

I read somewhere that dual receivers was the way to go for science reasons

18 Likes

There is this one area next to a cell tower that i always have to ride by on my daily commutes, I always get a little cutout

1 Like

Dual receiver one vesc?? I don’t think that’s possible. It’s only a single

2 Likes

thank god, let’s not get started again

13 Likes

No. 5G Uses a higher frequency required to deliver such high speeds, however it doesn’t go through walls very well. Thats why it’s still a pretty early technology. Anyways i recommend watching this video here

I’m good on a 12 minute video dawg, haha. But thanks!

Google shows:

5G will use spectrum in the existing LTE frequency range (600 MHz to 6 GHz) and also in millimeter wave bands (24–86 GHz). 5G technologies have to satisfy ITU IMT-2020 requirements and/or 3GPP Release 15; while IMT-2020 specifies data rates of 20 Gbit/s, 5G speed in sub-6 GHz bands is similar to 4G.

That’s what I was referring to as to using the same spectrum as existing LTE. I’m not sure millimeter wave has tangible real world impact on sub-ghz/2.4ghz transceivers.

@Lee_Wright ? Curious what your thoughts on the expected impact of 5G rolllout will be in consumer wireless devices operating at 800-2400mhz. My understanding is that the towers are smaller and with a larger distribution than standard towers, so even if it’s the same lower band frequencies it could still impact correct?

4 Likes

Ah this is what i remember from that video i linked then :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I guess Hoyt St is the only possible thing besides the dual receiver setup. I have been using the Hoyt in NYC for 5 months. Never had a drop out yet. Coming from the Evolve remotes that could never stay connected while riding.

1 Like

I crashed twice in two weeks, ending up in hospital once, due to a 5G repeater. I’m going wired next, if that doesn’t work then I’ll try a radio with FHSS frequency hopping algorithm, like Futaba FASST or Spektrum DSMR radios.

The problem with current esk8 radios is if they use frequency hopping, it’s the same algorithm as WiFi repeaters, which is DSSS, so more prone to sustained interference.

5 Likes

The use of that band 600MHz to 6GHz is a bit misleading as its only sections of that band that will be occupied by 5G. I think that it will be tightly filtered to stop any co-channel interference with existing technologies but to be honest I haven’t studied the implementation of 5G

2 Likes

Sorry for your crashes but this is good feedback and something I’ll keep an eye on in the field. Going to do some more research on this.

My current remote project is somewhat radio agnostic, moving into my next design iteration I’m going to be testing a number of radios. Current ones work great, but I’m trying to be proactive as the RF environment continues to evolve.

2 Likes

that’s terrible

1 Like

I mean, it’s not that bad, but I would hate for it to happen often, or completely unexpectedly. When I commute with my esk8, it needs to be reliable and predictable.

1 Like

if the 600 MHz to 6 GHz frequency range from the 5G antenna is being transmitted in a focused beam towards people’s devices via the phased array in the base station, wouldn’t this process drastically increase the effective radiated power of the signal for a given RF power?

1 Like