Right click copy, Right click paste - Haero Bro

I wasn’t happy with my original VESC enclosure so I made a new one. My Version 1 design had a base made out of PTEG and tightening it down just doesn’t work. Version two has an aluminium based, this also works as a heat sink.

9 Likes

Update time!

Just need some bindings and then I’ll grip it. MBS is sold out for some time (Three months). I’ve reached out to a place in Germany to see if they’ll ship to Australia

Alternatively, for the sake of getting my build finished, I’m going to go Trampa ratchets. I know everyone raves about MBS although are the Trampa bindings really bad? As a total noob to mountainboarding am I going to notice the diff?

3 Likes

Right as I made a post about top mount enclosures for the bro lol. How sturdy is the enclosure? I might be able to make CNC carbon fiber top and bottom plate and use printed part in the middle :smile:

I’m also working on an enclosure that’ll confine to the curve of the deck, I’ll post it once it’s done and tested😉

1 Like

The enclose I hove works great. It’s my version 1 design, version 2 will be 1cm taller for some added space. One thing I learnt quickly with 3d printed items is that you need to have a solid base. Something you can bolt right down hard that won’t bend or snap. I was lucky to have some help and had one water cut for me. Also I have long bolts that span the entire length of the side walls for added strength. I still need to properly test it out though.

2 Likes

I drew up a model of my own and got a quote for the carbon fiber top and bottom plates, holy moly it costs a lot so I’m going to try a 5mm abs board for the top and bottom panels.

I would only use carbon fibre for the middle (wall section). For the base, you need to have the most solid material possible. It needs to hold 6kg of batteries plus handle the board’s flex and vibrations.

I had all my parts designed by someone on Facebook marketplace (I can PM his details, it only cost me $40 and you can use my designs as a baseline), then I spoke for a few guys with access to CNC machines for the base, the lid and centre 3d printed. All the services I needed were sourced from Facebook. For my V2 design, I will be getting the centre professionally printed.

1 Like

Stay on target!

5 Likes

Big thanks to everyone in this forum for helping make this build possible. This is my first AT / Mountain board I’ve build and ridden. I wasn’t sure what to expect…… I’m blown away on how great the ride is, i have the trucks mounted in the fittest position and it carves like a dream.

I’ll look to putting some more words down about the build and my thoughts. For now please enjoy some pictures.

14 Likes

Hell yeah dude! Glad you’re loving it. Now to get out there and skate and explore.

1 Like

ayyyyyy that’s a nice ass build bro!
I finished mine as well😏

4 Likes

Would you be willing to share your enclosure files?

4 Likes

@sleepless Hey mate, no drama. I updated the battery box as my original was a tight fit for 21700 cells. Also @Venom121212 just recently helped me out and made me up some spacer files.

I want to move the ECS from the rear to the middle, the extra enclosure height should let me move the BMS and other bits on top of my battery pack.

I should also point out that my build has 1290 KM on it now and the enclosure has held up just fine.

My original STL files are in this thread from the 12th of April and below are the updated ones.

RM Battery Box_Case 30mm Spacer.STL (193.2 KB)
RM Battery Box_Case 15mm Spacer.STL (193.2 KB)
Battery_Box_Case_IncreaseHeight10mm_20210618.stl (5.8 MB)

4 Likes

Rebuild time! After 1300km she’s a dirty girl. Only one broken belt and the motor mount moved 5mm. Lock tight gave way… No other issues to report.

IMG_0905

4 Likes

You don’t need a heat sink if your enclosure base plate is made out of 5mm thick aluminum :slight_smile:

I’ll be adding some thermal past too just to be sure I can keep things cool. RIP rear-mounted ESC enclosure.

5 Likes

I was never a fan of how this build thread came to an abrupt end. Lots of things have happened since 2021 too…

The Haero Bro deck has now gone to a good home and as for me and 3D printed top mount battery enclosures… I’ve come to the realization that if you want to go down the path of creating something that is truly bulletproof there is only one real option… The Pelican Case, love them or hate them they are fit for purpose.

So here’s a video of my taking a hammer to my much loved 3D-printed enclosure in the name of science.

Top Mount Enclosure Talk

5 Likes

Peli case is the way! You can’t beat it for ease of use, value for money, strength, water tightness… its a winner all round!

7 Likes